Wednesday, April 06, 2005

So this is who I am...

Today was my third day on the job, and for the first time, I actually felt it. I was on the phone with my dad discussing cotton yarn count, and it hit me: hey, look at me, I'm really doing this! And unexpectedly, the feeling of settling in, that twinge of belonging, was quite pleasant.

I spent most of the day sitting in on one of our training/orientation seminars for our salesladies. I felt like Ms. Sia or Mrs. Liamzon observing a class. I took a lot of notes, and by the end of the session, I was positively bursting with ideas for improving our training program. It's terrific that the teacher in me still has an outlet in this line of work.

My mom is both puzzled and amused by my seemingly sudden interest in HR development, and I can't blame her; her daughter isn't exactly the friendliest of people. Heck, if someone had told me 3, 4 years ago that I would be raring to handle HR, I would have snorted in derision. I've never thought of myself as a *ugh* "people person," but apparently, some part of me is... which had probably been buried deep down alongside the part of me that my students call "patient," "cheerful," and *double ugh* "sweet." (I can hear my high school and college friends laughing their asses off.) I guess my teaching stint was the catalyst that made these alien aspects of Ailee surface. It's nice to know that after 24 years, I'm still unearthing strange, surprising, and sometimes disturbing bits of me. I wonder what else is down there.

8 Comments:

At Friday, April 08, 2005, Blogger Ange said...

not a 'people person'? Somehow I can't see how. :)

 
At Friday, April 08, 2005, Blogger Ailee Through the Looking Glass said...

See? None of my students can. You all seem to think I'm Ms. Congeniality. Heck, one of your classmates last year described me as "jolly." Jolly!?!? Do I look like Santa to you? :p

 
At Saturday, April 09, 2005, Blogger Ange said...

That's the image you had projected for the past two years. It's kind of hard to think otherwise. :) Ya, I remembered that 'jolly' description. When you heard that your expression was that of surprised or in disbelief, like being jolly isn't exactly what you had in mind. :D But jolly isn't only for Old Saint Nick, is it? :)

 
At Sunday, April 10, 2005, Blogger Ailee Through the Looking Glass said...

Haha, I just associate "jolly" with "round," and I hate thinking of myself as round. :p

 
At Sunday, April 10, 2005, Blogger Ange said...

How did jolly become round? :D

 
At Friday, April 15, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

im on a roll today...ive commented on almost all ur entries:D
haha...i think u associate it as such because of jollibee:) u know...jolly and a big fat red bee whose wings are too tiny to let him/her/it fly:D hahaha funny

 
At Sunday, April 17, 2005, Blogger Ailee Through the Looking Glass said...

Hahaha, yeah, I was thinking the same thing! Santa, red and round. Jollibee, red and round. I don't want to be red and round!!

 
At Monday, August 08, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i dunno if you're familiar with will & grace but well...told you so, told you so, told you, told you, told you so!!! =) ailee, sis, you're such a people person. sap!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home