Friday, October 19, 2007

Model's got the moves (and, Beauty in the eye of this beholder)


At the Arrow Global Licensing Meeting in New York last week, we were told that 22-year-old model Albert Reed, one of the faces of Arrow, joined ABC's Dancing with the Stars. Unfortunately, he got eliminated after only 2 episodes, despite wowing the panel of judges after this unconventional, borderline racy cha-cha number.



Albert first got his big break modeling for Abercrombie & Fitch, the popular American clothing brand for the college crowd. When we were in NY, my dad and I (accompanied by Ria) went to the A&F store along 5th Avenue, and the
first sight that greeted us upon entering was an impossibly handsome hunk acting as a living mannequin, wearing nothing but a pair of jeans, and doing nothing but standing there showing off his incredible washboard abs and sculpted pecs. Walking around the store, it was evident that ALL the sales assistants were model material and distractingly-- almost disturbingly-- good-looking. I felt trapped in the Twilight Zone, like I had been sucked into an A&F catalogue come to life. The deliberately dark interior of the store didn't help, nor did the raucous music pounding through unseen speakers ("Is this a store, or a club?" Ria yelled in my ear). I got a headache within 5 minutes of being inside, and the flawless photogenic faces beaming at me over stacks of overpriced surfer-dude polo shirts were looking creepier and creepier.

I suppose this is why I've never really appreciated the appeal of models (super or otherwise). Their kind of beauty has always struck me as TOO perfect, so much so that it becomes artificial. Very rarely does personality (much less intelligence) shine through their vavavoom veneers. And this is why I've always preferred movie or TV celebrities over models. The actors I find attractive are not simply physically enticing, they have a lot of character in their faces (the eyes are the giveaway: "dead" eyes are a dealbreaker for me). Never mind killer cheekbones, Grecian noses, or plump, pouty lips. A face has to say more than "hey, look at me"; it has to speak volumes, conveying charm, intensity, humor, vitality, kindness, wit and other promising stuff that are REAL and make the hottie seem human. Better-looking than most, yes, but still human.

And I guess the American public agrees with me, which might be the reason behind models never faring too well on Dancing with the Stars, including the show's latest casualty Albert Reed. It's back to pimping A&F and Arrow for you, buddy.

5 Comments:

At Saturday, October 20, 2007, Blogger Sean said...

"There is a phrase that says that beauty lies always in the eye of the beholder, and perhaps there is no better reflection of this than a certain name store located along the lush 5th Avenue in New York. In a place like this, surrounded by those who embody the human race's standards of beauty, sometimes one cannot help but feel inadequate and disturbed. But there is always a truth behind such beauty, and there is always a reality behind the mask. And as one will see, this is a subtlety that can only be noticed... in the Twilight Zone."

:)

 
At Monday, October 22, 2007, Blogger Ailee Through the Looking Glass said...

Where is that quote from? It's almost like I echoed what it says... Freaky. *cues Twilight Zone music* :p

 
At Thursday, October 25, 2007, Blogger Sean said...

Er... I made it up. Hearing you talk about the Twilight Zone made me want to translate your impressions into Rod Serling's style. :)

 
At Thursday, October 25, 2007, Blogger Ailee Through the Looking Glass said...

Man, I can't believe I didn't pick up on that! It's so obvious now. Haha. Then again, in my defense, I haven't watched a Twilight Zone episode in a really long time. That, and those few minutes inside A&F must have obliterated a few of my IQ points. :p

 
At Thursday, October 25, 2007, Blogger Ailee Through the Looking Glass said...

You might find this amusing:

http://sillingtonhouse.multiply.com/video/item/ 35/AF_gone_Mad

 

Post a Comment

<< Home