Friday, July 08, 2005

Kryptonite

Many think I am a hard-nosed bitch, and they aren't exactly wrong. However, those who know me well are aware that I am also a closet sap (a special shout-out to my fellow closet saps out there... you know who you are). I do not deny I can be a softie (just ask any of my students who wheedle me into doing stuff for them :p), but the things that make my cold heart melt are... unusual.

The other night, while my brother was at the PC playing online poker, I was in the same room watching Star Trek: Nemesis on Cinemax. When it came to the part where the android Data sacrifices himself to save Captain Picard, my brother instinctively swiveled around in his chair to look at me and asked with a knowing grin, "Umiiyak ka na no?" True enough, I was sniffling like the big crybaby that I am. Movies about inspiring leaders/teachers/mentors and loyal teams/followers/students always get to me. Heck, sometimes I get choked up watching Olympic athletes receive their medals and listening to their national anthems being played. The other night when London won the bid to host the 2012 Olympics, I welled up seeing the crowd in Trafalgar Square cheer and celebrate when the name of their city was announced. I'm pathetic.

Aside from weepy (but not mushy) movies and winning moments, I am also a sucker for the following:
  • handwritten letters and notes
  • yellow flowers
  • stuffed animals (try to swallow your laughter)
  • good books, books that make me laugh, cry, think, forget, and remember
  • songs that evoke memories of people I love
  • the sound of my siblings' laughter
  • and of course, brainy, brooding, bad boy types (right Sis? ;p)

Hmm. Maybe it's not wise to be revealing these weaknesses to my readers-- who knows how you'll use them against me? But then again, it wouldn't hurt if one of you introduces me to a brainy, brooding guy bearing yellow roses, a handwritten love letter, a teddy bear and a new E.L. Konigsberg book...

9 Comments:

At Saturday, July 09, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

naiyak ka sa "Mr. Holland's Opus" noh? :O

 
At Saturday, July 09, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hahahahaha :D That's ok. You're a teacher! It aptly suits your personality :). I cry when i watch kiddie cartoony movies...talk about lilo and stitch, tarzan, finding nemo...

Yellow flowers! Is it because your chinese name's family name is hwang? Hahahahha :D YOu'd love spring time here then. Daffodils all over the place come late march and early june. Really nice. :)

 
At Saturday, July 09, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i thought u wanted
someone TALL, WHITE, and CHINESE who speaks impeccable english? ;)

BAD BOY TYPES?? uhh di ko maimagine.. you've never been much of a rule-breaker.. and somehow i cannot picture you in a leather jacket, sitting at the back of a motorcycle, and holding on to an unshaven biker guy's waist while cruising down EDSA at top speed.. hahaha! =D

 
At Sunday, July 10, 2005, Blogger Ailee Through the Looking Glass said...

Karen: Yes, as a matter of fact. ;p But my fave teacher movie is still Dead Poets Society. I've seen it dozens of times, and I cried buckets every single time.

Jac: I love Canada in springtime! When we were on vacation there we visited a place called Minter Gardens and the flowers, especially the tulips, were gorgeous. :)

Kassie: Yes, I want a tall, white, Chinese bad boy who speaks impeccable English (motorcycle not a must). Now you know why I'm still single. :p

 
At Sunday, July 10, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's a shame London couldn't be happy longer. :(

And, well, I can't imagine you liking bad boy types. Mostly because you look innocent and nice. But oh well, I guess we all have our weaknesses.

 
At Sunday, July 10, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ms. lim looks innocent and nice?!?!?! hahahaahahahaha maddy, are you feeling ok?? hahaha peace.

 
At Sunday, July 10, 2005, Blogger Ailee Through the Looking Glass said...

Maddy: It's actually a toss-up between the brooding bad boy or the soulful artist. But I've learned (the hard way) that both spell trouble, so I just might revert to plain old "tall, white and Chinese."

Heidi: You'd better be leaving for Canada soon, because if I run into you one of these days you are SO going to get it...

 
At Wednesday, July 13, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

brainy, brooding, bad boys?

im sure maraming ganun. =)
pero di nga lang goodlooking. HAHA

pero if ever di kasali yung looks sa criteria, im not surprised. *cough* robthomasandmslimsotherguys *cough*

hahaha joke lang. :)

 
At Thursday, July 21, 2005, Blogger Ailee Through the Looking Glass said...

"Good-looking" is not one of my top criteria. BUT that doesn't mean Rob Thomas and my other guys aren't hot. Hmph.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home