Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Tagged by a fellow bookworm

From Laureen, my source of memes (I still haven't the foggiest what "meme" means though).

1. Grab the nearest book.
2. Open the book to page 123.
3. Find the fifth sentence.
4. Post the text of the next 3 sentences on your blog along with these instructions.
5. Don't you dare dig for that "cool" or "intellectual" book in your closet! I know you were thinking about it! Just pick up whatever is closest.
6. Tag three people.

I actually don't have any books here at the office, but today it just so happens I'm meeting Jen for dinner after work, and she asked to borrow The Philosopher at the End of the Universe by Mark Rowlands, so I have it with me here. Page 123 contains a summary of the movie Minority Report (which Rowlands used to tackle the concept of free will). The 6th-8th sentences on said page go:

"Built up around them is a new police department-- the Pre-Crime Unit-- led by John Anderton (Tom Cruise reprising his usual role of Cocky Bastard who later comes to understand the dignity and worth of human beings), and overseen by Lamar Burgess (Max von Sydow who, since it's Max von Sydow, is obviously going to turn out to be an Evil Bastard).

"Anyway, to cut a long story short, the precogs predict a murder. It's going to take place in 72 hours, and, unfortunately for Tom, he's the perp."

I tag Raqs (to force her to update her blog, hehe), Jen (in exchange for lending her the book :p) and Abi (to check on what she's reading over there in Deutschland... if it's in German, please translate!).

2 Comments:

At Tuesday, July 25, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG i have done ZERO reading since i arrived here. Got an umberto eco book with me, but something tells me that would remain closed for a good part of the year...

:) last book i read though, MIDDLESEX by eugenides. Brilliant. And to this day i still encourage people to read THE AMAZING ADVENTURES OF KAVALIER AND CLAY. You know how people normally cant decide what their favorite movie is, or favorite dish, favorite author. I used to be like that for the favorite novel category, until i read TAKC.

So yes. GO READ.

 
At Wednesday, July 26, 2006, Blogger Ailee Through the Looking Glass said...

I liked Middlesex too, far better than I did The Virgin Suicides. As for TAAKC, I think Auntie Lua sent us her copy in one of those boxes of old books. I'll dig around for it and move it up on my reading list... unless it's with Amuy or Danya (or you), in which case I will buy a copy of my own. I'm sure your favorite novel of all time is worth a couple hundred bucks. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home