Wednesday, November 22, 2006

One less reason to watch the 2008 Olympics

Ian Thorpe has just announced his retirement from competitive swimming, at the ridiculous age of 24. I can't believe the Australian wonder boy is hanging up his Speedos for good. I felt he still had at least 1 more Olympic title in him. He was 1 of the main reasons I'm dreaming-- wildly dreaming-- of going to Beijing in 2008 to watch the Olympics (I had a mad crush on him back in college; he was only 18 at the time, but already a cutie). And now he's retired, and he hasn't even given a concrete reason for it. It's not as if he's injured, or sick, or even washed-up (he's only 24!). It leaves me wondering why he suddenly lost his drive, why he gave up on a sport in which he excels, a sport he presumably loves. Breaks my heart, really. Reminds me of how I gave up teaching. I hope the Thorpedo (yes, they really call him that) has his own reasons, and damn good ones.

I really wanted to see him strike gold one more time. =(

4 Comments:

At Wednesday, November 22, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

IAN THORPE IS RETIRING????? :(:(:(

Michael Phelps isn't as cute as Ian. Sigh. :(

 
At Wednesday, November 22, 2006, Blogger Ailee Through the Looking Glass said...

You said it! =(

Sigh, bye bye Thorpey. You (and your skin-tight suits) shall be missed.

 
At Wednesday, November 22, 2006, Blogger Stone_set said...

I read in perezhilton.com that it was because he wanted to live the rest of his life as a man and not as a swimmer-so while I think it's a shame, I totally think his decision is a really legitimate one :D

 
At Wednesday, November 22, 2006, Blogger Ailee Through the Looking Glass said...

I certainly hope so, for his sake.

Still, it's a tragedy for Australia. And part of me is upset that he won't serve his country one more time, while he's still able. Not many are that talented and so honored.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home