Monday, October 23, 2006

It's all over

The day of two events I had been looking forward to for the past month finally arrived last Saturday. Around noon, Pia Girl and I headed to Ateneo for the OpMan defenses. We met up with some of the other LM girls-- Anj, Yang, Ria and Juls-- in the SOM office and partook of the free buffet lunch. Sir Mike Tan (who happens to be Juls's significant other) told us we were the oldest among all the panelists (ack!) he had invited, which put pressure on us to be even nastier than usual. ;p With the exception of Yang and Juls (lucky!!), we all got MEco groups who had done audits on existing companies' operations (unfaaaiiirrr, LM had to formulate start-up businesses; why does LM always get the short end of the stick?).

After lunch, we proceeded to watch the benchmark group present their project on frozen chickens, and since they didn't exactly wow the panelists, they set the bar for even lower scores to be handed out the rest of the afternoon. I didn't flunk anyone though, and admittedly the groups I got this year were slightly better than the ones I got last year (or maybe it's because an audit really is easier to do... or because my 2 fellow panelists were too nice and they hampered me from flexing my evil muscles :p). The highlight of my stint as a panelist this sem was when I chewed out 1 group for having used plagiarized material in their paper (yes, Ms. Lim, the scourge of plagiarism strikes again, haha!). Almost 3 whole pages contained material copied verbatim from online sources, plus 1 very poorly paraphrased page. I couldn't fail the group because of it though, since I wasn't grading their paper, but their presentation. All I could do was report them to the SOM faculty, and hope that their teacher deals with them justly. I did manage to give the group a piece of my mind (and scare them shitless) before I let them leave the room. I told them that even if they did cite their sources, it's no excuse for the word-for-word duplication, and I reminded them that in the Ateneo handbook, plagiarism is an offense punishable by disciplinary action. I ended by saying that as a former teacher and an Ateneo alumna, I was disappointed at their disregard for academic integrity (how's that for dramatic? :p).

I hate plagiarists. Especially Atenean plagiarists. They give writers and my school a bad name.

After the OpMan defense, I rushed back to Greenhills to catch the fashion show of the ICA Variety Show. I thought Joy Lo and her VSC girls did a terrific job putting everything together. Our Ep Espada items were given a very young, hip look the way they were coordinated, along with various accessories and "bling", as Joy put it. :) The models' funky hairstyles and makeup also helped, as well as the disco dance moves they had to do as part of the show's retro theme. It would have been all just peachy, but one not-so-little incident did piss me off: the dumbass emcee (Vince somebody from Wazzup Wazzup) mispronounced our brand name not once, not twice, but several frickin' times!! He said "Ep Espada" ("Ep" as in "ep-isode") instead of "E-p Espada" (as in the letters "E" and "P"). The more infuriating thing was, after screwing it up in the introduction, he corrected himself after the fashion show... and said the EXACT SAME WRONG THING AGAIN!! He even said "MISTER Ep Espada" (whatthehell?!?). At that point I felt like picking up the vacant monobloc chair next to me and hurling it at him. I had to run up to the ballet room and get Joy to straighten out the inept emcee. I shall have to do some editing before I can send the fashion show video to our principal in Thailand. The introductory spiel was so nice too (mispronunciation aside) but now I'll have to cut out that entire embarrassing bit. =S The only good thing that came out of the whole mortifying gaffe was that we got more verbal exposure than expected-- the idiot emcee did mention our brand more than a dozen times, never mind that more than half of those times he got it wrong. :p

One last thing: after over a week in confinement, Guakong was discharged from the hospital today. =D His sodium levels are still low, his vision is blurry and the fingers of his right hand are still stiff, but he can walk slowly by himself, and he's very much lucid. I still feel happy whenever he calls my name. :)

17 Comments:

At Monday, October 23, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hm... you can be really nasty sometimes.. WAAHAHAHAAHAHA!

 
At Monday, October 23, 2006, Blogger Ailee Through the Looking Glass said...

Hey, I may be nasty, but my nastiness is never unjustified. :p The group had it coming. And that emcee is lucky I was seated too far away from the stage, or I really might have thrown that chair at him. Haha.

 
At Tuesday, October 24, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

omy whats opMan? will i be taking that class?? based on your entry, i dont want to take that class you might just scare the hell out of me *shudder* hahaha

 
At Tuesday, October 24, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My brother teachers OpMan.

And I also hate plagiarists, Miss Lim. I don't know why that still persists in college. Haven't they learned anything? And I also hate it when people do not know how to cite their sources properly.

 
At Tuesday, October 24, 2006, Blogger Ailee Through the Looking Glass said...

Pamy: OpMan is Operations Management. I don't know if that's part of your curriculum. :)

Laura: Yeah, I know, your brother who could pass as Pau's twin. :p These weren't his students though. You know what added insult to the injury? They defended themselves with "But we cited the source!", when they didn't use any footnotes/endnotes, not even quotation marks! They think mentioning the source in the bibliography gives them the license to copy everything verbatim... even insignificant, lame lines like "When change comes to a country, its ripples may be felt for generations." Seriously, they needed to lift that?!? *pulls hair in frustration*

 
At Wednesday, October 25, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OH NO THEY DIDN'T.

haha. no plagiarist is safe with ms. lim in the house. our teachers here actually put our essays (submitted online) through plagiarism-detecting search engine software, so the machine does the catching for them. :)

 
At Wednesday, October 25, 2006, Blogger Ailee Through the Looking Glass said...

Oh yes they did. Sad, isn't it? And they seemed genuinely bewildered that I charged them with plagiarism despite the bibliography they included. I can imagine they now refer to me as "that bitchy, overreacting panelist", haha.

 
At Thursday, October 26, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Something to keep in mind when doing reports/ case studies. :D

 
At Thursday, October 26, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm real glad you exempted me from being described as nasty though i don't think that mr. tan's students would agree with you...
you see, i've shown my "claws" during this sem's mock panel...and the impression kind of stuck to the unfortunate group proposing to start a cake shop (of all businesses possible)... xp

 
At Thursday, October 26, 2006, Blogger Ailee Through the Looking Glass said...

Next year I hope some groups do their projects on garments, mwahaha. ;p

Tell Sir the younger panelists are far too forgiving. Oh, and what happened to the plagiarists anyway? Did their teacher go easy on them?

 
At Friday, October 27, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

sorry, no idea...will ask mr. tan...

 
At Tuesday, November 07, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Was just curious, how did you detect the plagiarized text? Was it because they didn't edit it properly so it stuck out like a sore thumb? Hmmm, maybe you can start a profession out of this talent. You can call yourself a plagiatective, hehehe.

Laughed out loud about the mispronunciations on your brand. As a professional host, he should have confirmed the brand name before the show, since it's the Most Important part of the event, and it's the one that's signing his paycheck. I almost wished you threw your monobloc chair at him so he could learn his lesson.

 
At Tuesday, November 07, 2006, Blogger Ailee Through the Looking Glass said...

Plagiatective, niiice. I like the sound of that, hehe.

I don't know if I have this inborn knack for picking up on plagiarized material, or if I'm just an overly nitpicky reader. In this particular case, the plagiarist repeated a whole paragraph in 2 separate parts of the paper (plain carelessness), and that sent warning bells ringing in my head. Sometimes the writer puts in information beyond her knowledge (plain arrogance), or beyond the scope of the paper (plain stupidity). And then there are times when the plagiarist lifts from a writer whose style is different/superior to her own (arrogance and stupidity combined).

I think students take for granted that teachers don't read their submitted material carefully, and don't become familiar with their writing styles/competencies. Unfortunately for the ones who got me as a teacher (and panelist), I take writing and reading very seriously. :p

As for the emcee... well, I guess I should have expected as much from a bunch of moronic MTV VJs. Sure, they can pronounce "Cueshe" and "Kjwan" correctly, but apparently the letters E and P give them trouble. 0_o

 
At Friday, November 10, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can understand why more students are becoming more and more tamad to properly cite their sources. Truth is, lots of teachers don't really READ our papers. Just last sem, my LS teacher gave our group a B for a paper we passed. When I consulted with her and asked how we could improve our paper, she couldn't even answer my question! She paused for several minutes and finally said, "Uhh...because that's really just a grade for group effort." GAHHH. I didn't sleep for an entire night (okay, craming was my fault), and she didn't even read it! Don't worry, I didn't plagiarize in my succeeding papers. It was just so frustrating!hahaha Aside from that, my friends had a marketing teacher who would just write "too text-y" if he saw two straight pages of text. During their defense, they got creamed for not getting their selling point right...which could have been corrected if their teacher actually read their paper during the first, second, and third submissions! I think that teachers should give more effort into reading the papers, no matter how thick they may be. If they did, they'd force students to be more aware of when they are or aren't plagiarizing. I think tamad teachers beget tamad students. I'm not fully pinning the blame on teachers, but they do affect their students' behavior. Takes two to tango. That sort of thing. haha;)

 
At Friday, November 10, 2006, Blogger Ailee Through the Looking Glass said...

I agree with you on all points, Donna. The negligence of teachers leads to a lot of mistakes (malicious or otherwise) by their students. I am also dismayed that some teachers allow their students to go into a panel defense unprepped and unprepared for the onslaught of questions from industry experts. I would never throw my kids to the wolves like that. Not to mention I would never accept any shoddily written papers, much less a plagiarized one.

 
At Friday, November 10, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Umm, that teacher donna was talking about was MY teacher!!!hahaha, he never read our papers and just wanted to see all the pretty tables and pie graphs. And since I write a lot of text, he just never read any of what I wrote! But hey! I was in Sir Mike's class this sem and we went through a lot of sleepless nights just getting the paper right... 0.0 start up paper- LM kami! urgh... Anyway, How come I didn't see you there? It was our defense too! :) It would've been really nice to see you again! Haha, and I did follow your advice on going to Ateneo and getting LM! Woohooo. Not sure if I'm actually regretting it or not.. hehe

 
At Friday, November 10, 2006, Blogger Ailee Through the Looking Glass said...

LM rules, BM drools! Bwahaha. (I'm just kidding, BM majors. Don't lynch me or anything. :p)

I'm sorry we didn't run into each other on defense day. :( Shox saw me but didn't even say hi, she was too nervous prior to their presentation (she didn't even notice I was wearing shorts, haha). I did see Fang though. :)

I hope you guys got a good final grade for your OpMan project. And I hope you don't end up regretting following in my LM footsteps. ;p

 

Post a Comment

<< Home