Thursday, January 18, 2007

OMG, the BBC wants me!

My friend Mishy has always joked about being president of my fan club. Now, she wants to be my agent.

Yesterday she emailed me something from the BBC website, that went something like this:

Interested to be one of the Oscars' panelists? Sign up here!

** Join the Oscars panel 2007 **
The BBC news website is again looking for film fans to form
its Oscars panel.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/em/fr/-/2/hi/entertainment/6263235.stm

I was at the office, and as usual I was bored, so I thought, what the hell, it's only a 100-word entry, and what have I got to lose? So I hastily scribbled out something about 2 films generating Oscar buzz that I have seen (Little Miss Sunshine and The Departed), clicked the "send" button, and emailed Mishy back to tell her I had joined just for the heck of it. She responded by kidding about wanting to be my agent when I get "discovered" and become a famous movie critic.

Tonight, I checked my inbox and found an email from a Stephen Robb, from the Entertainment desk of the BBC News Website. It began thus:

"Many thanks for your submission to be on our Oscars panel - we would be delighted to have you take part (from more than 250 submissions, I might add)."

I was flabbergasted. And to think I had almost deleted the email because I thought it was spam! Of course Mishy was the first person I texted, right after I told my parents, who happened to be in the same room while I was checking my email. Mishy was so psyched she called me and immediately offered to burn me copies of potential-Oscar-nominee movies I haven't seen yet. What an agent, huh? :p I'm just glad I'm not getting any money for this writing gig or I'll owe a huge chunk of it to her. Haha.

As part of the Oscars panel, I have to submit 5 short essays throughout Oscar season, sharing my views on the nominees and their chances of winning, and my reactions to who will eventually win the awards. My only immediate problem is that my first deadline is on Monday, before the nominations are announced on Tuesday, and of all the possible Oscar contenders I've only seen Little Miss Sunshine and The Departed (I guess you can count Blood Diamond and The Devil Wears Prada, which will probably get acting noms for Leo and Meryl, respectively). I think I can get by if I just manage to watch Babel and The Queen over the weekend, since the first piece just calls for my thoughts on who might get nominated. However, I'm still under pressure to go see all the other films that WILL be nominated, and I don't know if I'll be able to given that they get shown here in Manila quite late (stupid, stupid Metro Manila Film Fest!).

But with my agent's help, I think I'll pull this off. Right Mishy? Kiss kiss, hug hug. =D

10 Comments:

At Friday, January 19, 2007, Blogger eternaloptimist said...

Way to go, Ling! ;-)

I hope you won't forget my love for Leo when you're doing this... LEO... LEO... LEO... LEO... *hint, hint*

HAHAHAHA! Just kidding! I'm sure you'll do a good job. ;-)

 
At Friday, January 19, 2007, Blogger Ailee Through the Looking Glass said...

I actually mentioned him in my entry! And what I wrote was positive. ;p

Thanks for the vote of confidence Yangers! I'll certainly do my best. This is the BBC after all. :)

 
At Friday, January 19, 2007, Blogger Sean said...

Well, well, well, well. :)

I guess that pretty much testifies that if you want something, then there's usually nothing more effective than trying out for it yourself. :)

 
At Friday, January 19, 2007, Blogger Ailee Through the Looking Glass said...

Yeah, but then again, that's probably what all those people auditioning for American Idol think. :p

Funny thing is I didn't even want this that badly. It was just the result of a few minutes of me slacking off at work. :)

 
At Saturday, January 20, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats Ms. Lim! :D
--Candano :)

 
At Saturday, January 20, 2007, Blogger Ailee Through the Looking Glass said...

Thanks Candano! =D

 
At Sunday, January 21, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow, so how many of you panelists are there?

 
At Sunday, January 21, 2007, Blogger Ailee Through the Looking Glass said...

Last year they had 6 panelists. All of them were Westerners (English, American, Canadian), so I'm surprised they actually considered someone from the Philippines. :)

 
At Monday, January 22, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

take that, guidon!

hahahahahaha...

congratulations!

and belated happy birthday!!!!! :P

 
At Monday, January 22, 2007, Blogger Ailee Through the Looking Glass said...

Haha, I never even thought about the Guidon for a single second, but now that you've mentioned it... ;p Thanks Jo. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home