Monday, September 07, 2009

For Raqs, for making me think :)

Last night I was on the phone talking to my best friend Raqs, after her grueling first day of Bar exams. I had gone to see her at the Sheraton where the UP Law barristers were housed last Saturday, accompanied by my tag team partner Angge and the 4th member of our "Rated R" group, our good buddy Dex. I could tell Raqs really appreciated our visit, and I was happy we had been able to show our support, boost her spirits, and supply her with enough snacks and medication and Kleenex (for her perpetual cold!) to get her through the 4 weekends of the Bar.

Toward the end of our phone conversation, Raqs brought up something that resonated with me. She said, there are certain friends of whom you can ask a limitless number of favors, and yet not feel indebted to them, or get the sense that you're inconveniencing or taking advantage of them. There's no "hiya" involved, no reservations or reluctance from either side, just an assurance that help is available when needed, no strings attached. And it takes a special kind of friend to provide that unconditional, all-weather, I'll-be-there-for-you dependability. These are the friends you call when you get a flat tire in the middle of nowhere, or when you need someone to bail you out of jail (or a bad blind date), or when you're looking for someone to donate blood... or a kidney.

The past weekend made me realize that I am incredibly lucky to have more than my fair share of people in my life who would not only go out of their way for me (literally and figuratively), but also not "count" favors and expect anything in return. And it also dawned on me that, conversely, I am blessed to have so many people in my life for whom I would go the extra mile, to whom I would give without counting the cost, and by whom I would stand through both tribulations and celebrations. I can only hope I will always find the generosity of sprit, strength of character, and bigness of heart to be there for those I love whenever they need me.

"If you call, I will answer
If you fall, I'll pick you up
If you court this disaster
I'll point you home, I'll point you home..."

-Barenaked Ladies

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home