Sunday, April 10, 2005

Family friends

I once read somewhere that friends are the family you have chosen. It's always easy to think of our friends as family, but it's more unusual to think of our family as friends.



My sister and brother are two of my best friends in the whole world. I love them fiercely, and though we have our fair share of sibling spats, we get along famously. We can attribute our closeness to having spent so much time together growing up (and even now that we're all twentysomethings) and sharing many interests and obsessions (we're all LOTR fanatics, Jedi wannabes, and *gasp* Trekkers :p). We have a pact that we will never let anything tear the three of us apart, be it huge famiy disputes or trivial disagreements.

Only lately, however, have I started feeling that I am now becoming friends with my parents as well. I don't know if it's because I am now working with them (but heck, it's only been a week), or my age (close to a quarter-century now, eek), but I am more at ease with them and find myself agreeing with them on a lot of the same issues. In fact, I suspect that my brother is getting annoyed with me for acting like a third parent more and more, especially when it comes to his upbringing.

I don't want to alienate myself from my siblings just because I am becoming chummier with my folks, but I believe our tight bond will survive this transition, although it will take time for my siblings to adjust and maybe catch up to me in terms of maturing and seeing things from our parents' point of view. Our biological ages are not very far apart (2 and a half years between me and Hanks, 1 and a half between her and Bens), but our school ages may be the factor here (4 whole years between me and Hanks, 2 years between her and Bens). I can only hope that when the time comes, we can all understand each other even better and all 5 of us can be family and friends.


11 Comments:

At Monday, April 11, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey ms. lim! angela here...you know, ange lim's sister. :D didn't know you had a blog ^_^

 
At Monday, April 11, 2005, Blogger Ailee Through the Looking Glass said...

Hi Angela! I started blogging just recently. Feel free to take a peek and post comments every once in a while. :)

 
At Monday, April 11, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi ms.lim! lucky you..close wid ur sibs.. my shoti isolates himself in a room with the compuer :(

 
At Monday, April 11, 2005, Blogger Ailee Through the Looking Glass said...

My shoti does the same at home. But when we manage to pry him away from the PC, he's pretty cool. As long as he's not being a pain in the butt, I like hanging out with him. :)

 
At Monday, April 11, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ms. Lim! Sorry this isn't related to your latest entry, but yeah, Constantine is hot. :D He's not super handsome, but he's got this amazing confidence and appeal in his actions. And it helps that he's a rocker, too. I just hate him for quitting his band to join AI.

 
At Monday, April 11, 2005, Blogger Ailee Through the Looking Glass said...

I couldn't agree more. There's just something incredibly sexy about how intense he is. As for his ditching his band, well, look at it this way: if he wins Idol, he can take his band with him on the road to fame and fortune. ;)

 
At Tuesday, April 12, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, what if he doesn't win? I mean, Carrie and Nadia and Anwar have more chances of winning than he does. He's doing great in the looks department, but he's kind of lacking in the vocals, compared to others. And rockers are supposed to know what it means to be in a band. It's a sort of one for all and all for one thing, you know?

 
At Tuesday, April 12, 2005, Blogger Ailee Through the Looking Glass said...

True, but you have to remember, this dude isn't purebred rocker-- this guy belts out show tunes... and was even in Rent. :p The thing about Am Idol though, the better singer doesn't always win, and the winner doesn't always go out to sell more records (take Clay and Ruben). I used to root for Anwar, but he got boring. Carrie is technically the best of the bunch, but bores me too (the only performance of hers that wowed me was "Alone").

 
At Friday, April 15, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey miss lim! its kassie!:) im happy you are close to your siblings...sadly i can't say the same with mine. my oldest sister who is the same age as you and suggests that she knows you from ateneo is too busy with either work or going out with her boyfriend. she doesnt stick around long enough for me to tell her stuff about my day. my dichi, on the other hand, loves to quarrel with me for some reason. i dont know if i have words "hate me hate me" written on my forehead! all i can say is that its not as bad as before.:) o well...petty fights...ill miss them someday

 
At Sunday, April 17, 2005, Blogger Ailee Through the Looking Glass said...

Yeah, I think I do know your sister from Ateneo. I know her boyfriend from grade school, haha. Such a small world. Well, the dynamic might be different for 3 girls as opposed to 2 girls and a guy. My sister and I have been roomies forever and my brother has no one else to pester, plus all of us don't have "significant others," so we're tight. Maybe it will get better now that you're off to college. :)

 
At Monday, June 20, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

awwww....that's nice to know but honestly coming from you...a bit
freaky too. i'm happy for you though. =)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home