Sunday, September 24, 2006

A public apology to Doug Kramer

Dear Doug:

For the past 4 seasons, I have not exactly been your biggest fan. In fact, if my dear old teacher and favorite Ateneo game analyst Sir Tirol had saved all of my post-game text messages to him blasting you, he would have enough material for a fairly long, unflattering essay. But as he texted to me after today's incredible Game 1 win over UST: with that one amazing buzzer-beating, game-winning shot, you have effectively redeemed 5 years of butterfinger errors. And he also told me I owe you an apology.

Hence, this letter.

I am sincerely contrite, and I would like to declare that your miracle of a basket was without question the most unbelievable thing I have witnessed in my 13 years of watching UAAP games. I shamefully admit that during the last timeout, with that now-historical 1 second left in the match, I turned to my companions Fara and Margaux and scoffed, "'Wag na tayong umasa." This utterly un-Atenean pessimistic disposition was deplorable. When Macky saw you wide open and passed you the ball off the inbound, and you sank that shot cool as anything just as that 1 second ran out, you made a believer out of me. A repentant believer.

So Doug Kramer, I am sorry for having called you many cruel-- albeit sometimes accurate-- things before ("stupid lug", "clumsy oaf", "big neanderthal", and "Duh Kramer", among others). After 5 years of playing for our alma mater, you have finally, beyond all doubt, proven your worth, and you have proven me wrong.

Whether we win or lose the Finals, you will go down in Atenean annals as the hero of Game 1. Way to go.

Sincerely,
Ailee Lim
Ateneo Alumna
Batch 2001

P.S. I think your teammate Macky Escalona deserves to share a bit of your glory for making that spot-on inbound pass. And perhaps Coach Norman Black as well, if he had instructed you guys accordingly. I'm guessing he knew UST would smother Chris Tiu and keep an eye on JC Intal. That left you alone under the basket, and the rest, as we now know, is history. :)

7 Comments:

At Monday, September 25, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I began watching during the fourth quarter and no matter how hard I tried I couldn't pull myself away from the TV screen. I didn't know basketball games were this exciting! (I mean, when I surf the TV, "Ooh. Basketball. Wow, nice pass." Bzzzt. Change channel. The only "sport" I really bother watching is ice skating.) I am really glad we won.

By the way, was it only me, or did Chris Tiu, the poor boy, fall a lot of times today?

 
At Monday, September 25, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My grammar is going down the drain at this hour. Sorry, Miss Lim. It was supposed to go this way:

[. . . I am glad we won.

By the way, was it only me, or did anyone else notice Chris Tiu, the poor boy, fall a lot of times today? ]

The O.C. in me cannot resist editing. If only there were an "Edit Comment" function here.

 
At Monday, September 25, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was a very true and honest letter, and I actually feel the same way. I was really surprised when Mac threw the ball to Kramer.

"I was thinking...WTF was that pass? Why Kramer?!"

But it actually turned out okay. Thank you so much Doug for getting that one ball in.

But other than that, I want to kill those biased and BLIND referees who didn't know how to do their job.

Too bad I didn't see you though. You would have laughed at me screaming my head off, considering that was my first game. :) It was really fun. :D

 
At Monday, September 25, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

To Laura:
Yea, Chris Tiu fell so many times. A lot of those should have been fouls..my poor Chris Tiu. If he gets back or ass problems bec of that game, the referees SHOULD be blamed for their inadequacy in making the right calls.

My poor Chris Tiu....

 
At Monday, September 25, 2006, Blogger Ailee Through the Looking Glass said...

Before you girls start feeling too sorry for "poor Chris", a word to the wise: "poor Chris" is one of the sharpest, shrewdest ball players we have on the court. Don't let that angelic, babyfaced countenance fool you. He flops more often than he is fouled, and even when he is fouled, he makes it appear harder than it was, making those puppy-dog eyes at the ref as if to say, "The big old meanie hurt me!" :p He also gets in a lot of sneaky fouls himself, so I wouldn't begrudge the refs a few erroneous calls every now and then. You gotta hand it to Chris. The kid knows his strengths and he uses them to his full advantage. That's why I adore the boy so much. ;p

Christa, you couldn't have chosen a finer time to watch a UAAP game for the first time. That was simply one of the best sports moments I've ever seen. Hot damn.

 
At Tuesday, September 26, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Best game everrrr! My dad and I couldn't help screaming infront of the TV. That was the 2nd UAAP game I've watched (The first one was against UST and Ateneo lost) so kala ko ang malas ko na talaga na matatalo ulit Ateneo when I saw that one last second. Whew! After that game, I couldn't stop thinking about it talaga. It's just crazy! Haha!

 
At Tuesday, September 26, 2006, Blogger Ailee Through the Looking Glass said...

You should have seen me, Ms. Uy and your Atsi Margaux go berserk when that last shot went in! We were jumping around like maniacs in a three-way hug and screaming and laughing and going "OHMYGOD!!!" over and over again. =D What an awesome, awesome high.

I hope you manage to get tix for Thursday!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home