Wednesday, August 16, 2006

This blog post is rated R

A female friend (I can't remember who) and I once talked about how we didn't understand the male fascination with girl-on-girl action. If I recall accurately, my friend said, "It's not as if we get all excited when two guys start making out." At the time of our conversation, I agreed with her statement. Now, I'm not so sure anymore.

I suppose the turning point for me was Brokeback Mountain. When Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal came together in one of the most dramatic liplocks in cinema history, I was surprised and impressed by the convincing intensity of their kiss... and really turned on. There was just so much... sizzle onscreen that I couldn't help but get caught up in it. The fact that it's two guys getting it on makes little difference... or perhaps it does make a difference, in that it's even sexier because it's twice as much eye candy, twice the amount of testosterone.

Two other notable guy-on-guy smooches that come to mind are Diego Luna and Gael Garcia Bernal in Y Tu Mama Tambien (talk about Latino heat!), and the unlikely combination of Liam Neeson and Peter Sarsgaard in Kinsey (I really dig Peter Sarsgaard-- think cuter, younger John Malkovich; ever since Jarhead, he's been on my Hollywood hottie radar). But one pair I have yet to see-- and definitely want to see-- having at it are Ewan McGregor and Jonathan Rhys-Meyers in Velvet Goldmine. When Obi-wan Kenobi and Elvis get it on, it's bound to generate some serious voltage. Anyone have the DVD? ;p

8 Comments:

At Thursday, August 17, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

in that case you have to watch QUEER AS FOLK!! bryan is to dieeee fooooor!!

 
At Thursday, August 17, 2006, Blogger Ailee Through the Looking Glass said...

Ooh, duly noted. Thanks Cris! =D

P.S. You know what, up to this day, whenever "Queer as Folk" is mentioned, I remember Maddy and that hilarious story about the jammed DVD and how she tried to poke it out of the player with a chopstick or something. Haha.

 
At Thursday, August 17, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hm, it's kinda like yuri (girl-girl love) and yaoi (guy-guy love). The guys are the ones who prefer yuri in manga, and the girls, yaoi. :)

 
At Thursday, August 17, 2006, Blogger Ailee Through the Looking Glass said...

They actually have terms for it, cool! That's so much easier. When I was writing this blog post, the only variation of "man-on-man" I could think of was "guy-on-guy". Haha.

 
At Thursday, August 17, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The wonders of Japanese. :)

 
At Friday, August 18, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love how your entries always have a main idea. They're like short essays. I suppose I've grown tired of the how-my-day-was type of entries that dominate the blogging world.

And wow, I don't even remember how that came up in class. What I DO remember is that Cris was the one who related the incident...

Still syndicated to your blog,
Maddy

 
At Friday, August 18, 2006, Blogger Peej Bernardo said...

Oh my God, Ails [mouth agape!] You're actually a sexual being after all!

Don't get me wrong! It's just that, well, I've come to know you in a certain way, and, well, that certain way does not include phrases like "turned me on" and "sizzle"!

Haha. Kung sa bagay, I've also been described as asexual [i.e. a tree] by friends, so I know the feeling.

But dammit, we *are* sexual beings!

Haha.

Well, ayon. Getting out of the box is good. Here's to more "R" rated blogposts! Ipagpatuloy.

peej b.

 
At Saturday, August 19, 2006, Blogger Ailee Through the Looking Glass said...

Maddy: I can't recall why Cris shared that story either, but it has stuck with me ever since. Definitely one of my favorite Charity memories. :) By the way, I have the boxed DVD set of Queer as Folk. I intend to get started on it right after I'm done with Grey's Anatomy Season 2. =D

Peej: Just so we're clear, it's getting out of the box, and not the closet, right? Haha. But you're right, Mr. Bernardo, we're all red-blooded men and women, even the most cerebral (and seemingly staid) of us. Even an A-boy, Philo major, Bar-topnotcher, hotshot lawyer like you. ;p

 

Post a Comment

<< Home