Monday, March 12, 2007

No pressure

Over the weekend, I found out that 2 of my high school barkada got engaged to their long-time boyfriends (congratulations Jo and Mishy!). I was thrilled for them, naturally, but along with my delight came a tiny tremor of alarm. I have never openly lamented my singlehood, even at the ripe old age of 26, but the thought of my contemporaries getting hitched one after the next is a little unsettling (3 of my high school barkada are already married). There's a sense of getting left behind, in a way, and I never like getting left behind (I was the type of kid who hated missing school because I'd be a lesson behind everyone when I returned to class).

I suppose I'd be more anxious if I weren't so damn happy with my life. But I have to admit that Jo and Mishy's announcements got me thinking about whether I should be more concerned that I am still unattached in my mid-twenties. Making it more disconcerting is the fact that my friends have been in their respective relationships for several years now, and it took that long for them to get engaged and be prepared to enter lifetime commitments. At the rate I'm going, even with (or perhaps especially with) my serial blind dating, I may be in my mid-thirties before I see a ring on my finger, assuming I do get one at all.

Am I beginning to panic? Heck no. I'm not even sure if I'm more bothered by the idea of my staying single for a long time to come, or by the idea that I actually don't mind staying single for a long time to come (the latter would definitely not sit well with my parents though). It's just that all this talk of engagements and weddings among people my age heightens my awareness of my blissful detachment, disturbed only by the nagging feeling that I just may be missing out on something.

Then again, I've never been one to jump on the bandwagon... even if it's all set to roll away without me.

In any case, I am super happy for both Jo and Mishy, who have already booked passage on the bridal bandwagon. I wish them beautiful weddings and, more importantly, wonderful marriages with the loves of their lives. =D

5 Comments:

At Wednesday, March 14, 2007, Blogger Crayzta said...

Don't rush Ms Lim. :) There's someone out there, maybe it's just not the right time.

But you know, things like that remind me of the countless times me and my barkada used to talk about who'd get a boyfriend first to who'd get married first.

Time flies so fast, doesn't it.

-Christa

 
At Wednesday, March 14, 2007, Blogger Ailee Through the Looking Glass said...

"Don't rush Ms Lim. :) There's someone out there, maybe it's just not the right time." -Thanks for sharing your optimism, Christa. :)

My college barkada actually made WRITTEN lists (how bored were WE? haha), indicating the order of who would get married first, second, etc. So far, all our lists have been wrong. :p Things like marriage are just impossible to predict.

 
At Thursday, March 15, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i remember that list... :p

 
At Thursday, March 15, 2007, Blogger Ailee Through the Looking Glass said...

You were always at the top, I believe. ;p And I was always near the bottom. Hahaha.

 
At Friday, March 16, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

it was only becasue i had a boyfriend who SEEMED ready to settle down at that time... :D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home