Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Eureka, I got it

With the help of EasyDiagnosis.com and WebMD.com, I've figured out that my attack of vertigo was a symptom of vestibular neuronitis, swelling of the vestibular nerve, which "carries balance signals from the inner ear to the brain". It looks like the bad cold I caught last week hatched this condition, which is viral in nature (this confirms Auntie Nene's doctor friend's guess as well). There's no specific cure for vestibular neuronitis, as it usually goes away on its own after some time, which is a relief. And I suppose I should count myself lucky, because in some extreme cases, the vertigo lasts for a week, sometimes longer! Next time I get a cold I hope it doesn't decide to screw around with my vestibular nerve again.

2 Comments:

At Tuesday, August 07, 2007, Blogger Sean said...

Er... isn't this good, in a way? Apart from the constant bouts of vertigo, it sounds like a perfectly good excuse to stay in bed all day. :)

 
At Wednesday, August 08, 2007, Blogger Ailee Through the Looking Glass said...

One would think so, but after the first couple of hours of lying in bed, I was unable to sleep any more and was bored senseless. At one point I actually snuck downstairs to watch St. Elmo's Fire on HBO. Then I got dizzy again and had to crawl back into bed. :p

 

Post a Comment

<< Home