Friday, September 14, 2007

From bedridden to backlogged

True to feeble form, I got sick AGAIN for the nth time this year, succumbing to a high fever this past Tuesday. I only made a full recovery yesterday, and so I'm back in the office today. Due to the unfortunate timing of my illness, which came on the heels of the Ateneo-La Salle game last Sunday, my mom the-doctor-without-a-medical-degree pinned the blame on overexcitement. She conveniently overlooked the fact that I had spent the previous Saturday literally sweating it out at an outdoor wedding reception in Bulacan, which she had made me attend. Thankfully, my dad remembered this and pointed it out to her. Afterwards he slipped me an antibiotic without my mom knowing (she's very anti-antibiotics), and within a few hours of popping the pill my fever broke. Who says mother always knows best, eh?

The pros of getting sick were: I got time off from work, I finished reading John Updike's Gertrude and Claudius, and I got to watch the UST-FEU and UE-DLSU games live on TV. The cons: I have a huge pile of reports on my desk begging to be checked, and I'm really behind on my blogging. I have so many things I want to write about:
the Audrey Hepburn-Peter O' Toole movie How to Steal a Million (loved it!), Gertrude and Claudius (loved it!), my favorite Green Archer Bryan Ilad getting thrown out of the UE-DLSU game for throwing a sucker punch (loved it!), Erap getting convicted for plunder (ambivalent about this one), the brewing ZTE scandal (I like anything that could land Abalos in trouble), and UP fratman Cris Mendez's death from hazing (thanks to Ria Ang for suggesting that I write about it).

I don't know if I'll still be able to blog about all of those, especially since current events become stale topics when no longer... well, current. For now I'm just glad to be out of bed and back on my feet, and looking forward to a weekend of celebrating Auntie Nene's birthday and watching the UAAP Cheering Competition (no more overexcitement, Ma, I promise :p).

2 Comments:

At Friday, September 14, 2007, Blogger Unknown said...

not to sound like your mom, but from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antibiotics :
"Use or misuse of antibiotics may result in the development of antibiotic resistance by the infecting organisms, similar to the development of pesticide resistance in insects."

anyway, i do hope you get to write those blog entries you mentioned, especially the uaap-related ones. i just saw the ateneo-lasalle game when i was there in manila just last week and it brought back memories of the good old fun college days.

 
At Friday, September 14, 2007, Blogger Ailee Through the Looking Glass said...

I'm familiar with the dangers of antibiotics, which is why I insisted that my dad cut the pill in half before I took it. Normally I wouldn't even take half, but I was just that desperate to get well. :p

You caught the Ateneo-La Salle game, terrific! You timed your visit perfectly. You're based in Japan right? My friend who's working in Shanghai is considering hooking up his TV to an illegal connection to Dream Satellite just so he can catch the UAAP games live. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home