Wednesday, August 29, 2007

I need my shrink, and she's in Singapore

Lately it seems like I keep battling questions of friendship ethics, one after another. Should I say something... should I not do this...would it be right if I kept quiet... would it be wrong if I didn't stop...?

Whatever the question though, and whoever the friend is, or how many other people are involved, I wind up feeling the exact same way: guilty. Even if logically, sensibly, I know I didn't do anything bad. Even if technically, I didn't lie. Even if honestly, I never meant for anything to happen.

Times like these, I wish I weren't so damn ethical. Or such a "good" friend. Or am I?

Maddyyyyy!

4 Comments:

At Wednesday, August 29, 2007, Blogger Unknown said...

among fellow filipinos, i use the usual if-it-were-done-to-me logic.

it doesn't quite work as well though in a group of foreigners of all sorts of nationalities. concerned about not offending anyone, i end up being the most quiet one in the group.

 
At Wednesday, August 29, 2007, Blogger Ailee Through the Looking Glass said...

Trouble with that if-it-were-done-to-me line of thinking, I just end up reassuring myself that I wouldn't be hurt or offended, so my friend/s shouldn't either... and then I find out not everyone is as magnanimous or forgiving as I theoretically am. :)

Interesting thing you pointed out, how the subtleties and complexities of relationships differ from culture to culture. I say speak up though-- risk offending someone rather than risk missing out on deeper, more meaningful friendships. :)

 
At Saturday, September 01, 2007, Blogger Elyse said...

Ailee....you're one the best friends a person could have... :) thanks for the effort last Wednesday!

 
At Sunday, September 02, 2007, Blogger Ailee Through the Looking Glass said...

Awww, thanks Elyse! Coming from a friend like you, that means a lot. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home