Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Back in the saddle again

Yesterday I conducted my first training seminar for our promo girls (i.e. sales ladies) under Criterion. I have been the acting brand head since we acquired the brand in May, so I took it upon myself to train our sales personnel. Most of them are new, and some are inexperienced, so they need the market and product knowledge. The first batch was composed of 6 persons, and the session lasted for roughly 2 and a half hours... longer than a double period in English (more like a triple period!). I was armed with our new HP laptop (my overused and abused ThinkPad is now resting in peace) and our brand new Panasonic projector, which makes all the EIKI and Epson projectors in ICA look like bulky relics, hehe. It felt great to be sort-of teaching again, aided by PowerPoint and all. Of course unlike before, I actually speak in Filipino and Taglish during these training seminars. I'm sure my former students would get a kick out of that. :p

Speaking of former students, Sobriety's going on their retreat today. I wish I were going with them. I really miss those kids. I hope they have a fun and meaningful retreat, and that they'll further strengthen the great friendships they share... and I hope the retreat house is soundproof.

3 Comments:

At Wednesday, July 27, 2005, Blogger Ange said...

EIKI? I actually like that brand, not because of it's quality, but because if you would change the "K" to an "R", it would spell EIRI, right? :) I like Eiri. He's my favorite character in Gravitation (great anime.very different from the others *ahem*). So I actually look forward to seeing the blue screen with the word EIKI that flashes for about 5 second, I think. Haha. :D

Two-in-one package!You get to work in your family business and teach at the same time. What more could you ask for? :) (don't answer that) Honestly, it sounds strange when I hear you speak in Filipino (or in Taglish). I really got used to straight English. That's a compliment, by the way. ;P

You can expect two of the things you hope will happen in the retreat. But don't hope that the retreat house would be soundproof. :) If you were in the bathroom at the third floor and you're talking like an ordinary ICAn, you can count on being heard from the first floor, especially at night, which is why silence is not a common thing. It only comes when everyone but you is asleep. :)

**I like the silence of the corridors during early morning when everyone's still in bed. It's as if you're somewhere else. Others find it scary, but trust me, it's a fun experience (sort of like you're in a Korean horror film that's not really as scary as I would hope it would be. Imagine "Red Eye"). I'd tell you of what happened to me and my friend during the retreat, but it might take up too much space. :D

 
At Thursday, July 28, 2005, Blogger Ailee Through the Looking Glass said...

It was an unconscious thing, the whole speaking-to-students-in-straight-English reflex. I always describe it as a switch in my head, that turns on to "English" automatically when I'm faced with a student, and then reverts back to "Filipino/Taglish" when I'm with friends (or "Chinese" when I'm with family, haha). After I left ICA, I thought I would be able to bring myself to talk to students in Filipino. Alas, the switch seems stuck. I can't flip it off no matter how much I want to. :(

 
At Thursday, July 28, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, can't imagine you speaking in Taglish or Filipino. Ms. Lim = straight English all the way! Whahahahaha :D

It's great that you're educating your workers though. You have no idea how much people value that here in Canada. They even send fax stuffies to our supervisors if they're pleased with our performance. It's nice that the owners of our amusement park let us read it. Makes us workers happier. :)

Keep up the good work! :D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home