Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Canton clips

East meets West

I love how Hong Kong is an amalgam of old Oriental and new cosmopolitan. It’s Chinese enough, but not too Chinese… meaning the public rest rooms are actually clean. In fact I was in a bathroom cubicle when the idea occurred to me: if the Philippines had been colonized by the British instead of the Americans, maybe we’d be in a much better state that the sordid one we’re currently in. We’d have a stronger economy, better education, more efficient transport systems and cleaner public facilities, including toilets.

This is CNN

Whenever we go abroad, we tend to watch a lot of CNN when we’re in our hotel room. It’s as if there’s this inherent compulsion to find out what’s happening with the rest of the world because we’re not home… perhaps in order not to feel so adrift and out of touch.

My favorite CNN news anchor is Richard Quest, the Briton with the hoarse voice and expressive, almost exuberant, manner of speaking. He makes even the most dreary news sound interesting, even entertaining. I especially love watching him report from the street, where he really gets into it, with matching hyper gesticulations and audacious interview questions. Every time I watch him, I think to myself, now there’s a guy who really loves his job. I appreciate his zest, his humor, his vitality… I’m tempted to use the word “vivacity” but it sounds too flippant; I don’t want to give the impression he’s not a serious, credible journalist, for he is. But what sets him apart from his colleagues at CNN is that Richard Quest is not just a talking head, because he puts his heart into what he does.

Then there’s my least favorite CNN news anchor, our very own Veronica Pedrosa. Or maybe I shouldn’t say “our very own” since she doesn’t seem to want to acknowledge her being Filipino. She speaks with this absurdly affected British accent that annoys me, especially when she pronounces her own frickin’ name “Pay-drow-zaa.” My friend Shirley once pointed out how ridiculous it is that Ms. Paydrowzaa pronounces “tsunami” the Western way, with a silent T. “Bakit, diba meron naman tayong tsonggo? Tsinelas?” It’s impressive how Ms. Paydrowzaa has gotten to where she is, but it’s impossible for me to admire someone who has lost touch with and seemingly turned her back on her origins.

Lost and not found

I lost my beloved ankh pendant in a Guangzhou flea market. (To the hieroglyphically challenged: the ankh is the ancient Egyptian symbol of life. It resembles the Christian cross, which my pendant was often mistaken for.) The clasp of my necklace must have snagged on my bag strap and opened by itself, and the ankh fell off. What made it even more frustrating was that I didn’t lose the chain, which could have been easily replaced. I tried not to get too upset over it, forcing myself to think that it was only a material possession, and I’ve lost items with far more sentimental value. I guess I will just have to take on the challenge of finding a new ankh accessory. Sigh.

7 Comments:

At Wednesday, July 20, 2005, Blogger Ange said...

I like watching CNN. There's something about it that makes it more interesting than watching other news channels. I also don't like Veronica. :) Whenever she's the news anchor, I would change channels. *shudder*. She's Filipino? I never knew that. :)

I also like Richard Quest. He's so passionate about his job that news is interesting. I like how he interviews other prominent people of society. I agree, he is good.

The ankh pendant, is that the one you wear aside from the '@'? :) If so, it does look like a cross. And here I was thinking you were that religious. :) Haha. :) Kidding! :)

 
At Thursday, July 21, 2005, Blogger Ailee Through the Looking Glass said...

My mom gave me one of her old cross pendants to replace the ankh. I haven't gotten around to explaining the difference to her, that I refuse to wear an actual cross around my neck. :p I'm wearing my @ and yin/yang pendants these days.

 
At Thursday, July 21, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The ankh you've been wearing forever? Oh, that's sad. :\ I hate losing valuables.

And I love Richard Quest too! For some strange reason I remember him talking about the French rejection of the EU constitution. He said "...It's time for plan B. The problem is, there IS no plan B!" I think he's adorable. And, uh, he sort of reminds me of Ron Weasley.

Btw, have you read HBP? I love it! Best Harry Potter book ever, I think. Concise and exciting and sad in the end. That's all I'm going to say, in case you haven't read it.

 
At Thursday, July 21, 2005, Blogger Ailee Through the Looking Glass said...

Uh... Ron Weasley? :) My favorite Richard Quest moment was when he was interviewing people who had attended the Prince Charles-Camilla Parker-Bowles wedding. One guest said the bride was "lovely" and Quest goes, "LOVELY?! Really!!" in this unabashedly incredulous voice.

My copy of HP6 is still waiting on my bookshelf. I'm still finishing A Clockwork Orange, but I'll probably get started on HBP this weekend.

 
At Saturday, July 23, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Haha :D It's so nice to hear about people who love doing their job. That's something inspirational. :)

Reminds me of one of the old Filipino sayings, "Ang taong hindi marunong lumingon sa pinanggalingan ay..." Crap, i can't remember the rest...Maan, my Filipino teachers back in ICA would kill me!

Yeah, if the Philippines was still part of America then our state would be kinda like Hawaii. Makes me question the value of freedom and independence.

Aww..poor lost ankh thingy. I would like to advertise my gwama's jewelry store, OLIVIA'S, located at Shoppesville, just across Kamiseta, near Adidas. Hahahahaha :D They make custom made jewelry so if you'd like to get a white gold ankh or a yellow gold one or a mix of yellow and white gold one, just drop by my gwama's store. Whahahahaha :D (Tell them that i'm you're student!)

The full moon is getting me loopy today. Argh! Sorry about that, Ms. Lim.

 
At Sunday, July 24, 2005, Blogger Ailee Through the Looking Glass said...

Nice plugging yourself, Jac. ;p I just might pop into your guama's shop one of these days. I already asked one jewelry store if I could have an ankh custom-made and they said it would cost around P15,000. Gleep.

 
At Monday, July 25, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's tooo tooo too much! My gwama's store won't charge that much. I remember, the simplest custom made wedding rings for guys and girls would cost 8 thou together. Hehehehe :D Sooo..if it's just an ankh, prolly, it'll be cheaper. I dunno, just me speculating here. :)

Tell me how it goes when you do drop by :D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home