Sunday, January 22, 2006

Jake Gyllenhaal in a g-string!

Now that I have your attention...

Mr. Gyllenhaal actually wasn't the best thing about the movie Jarhead, which I saw with Abi (who loved it) and Hanks (who said it's the least boring war movie she's seen). Granted, the dude got really buff for his role as a Marine, and he can really shake his booty in a g-string, but I was more impressed by supporting actor Peter Sarsgaard. Yeah, yeah, I know you're all going, "Peter WHO?" That was my reaction when my sister told me who the guy playing the serious sniper scout was. Apparently he was also in Flight Plan, Garden State and The Skeleton Key, all of which I have not seen, and now want to see just for him. If Sarsgaard's performance in Jarhead is any indication, then he probably stood out in those films as well. The part where he finally snaps after their attempt to snipe an Iraqi officer was foiled was raw, honest and powerful. Watching that marvelous meltdown, you forget that Jake Gyllenhaal is in the same scene.
Sarsgaard looks like a cross between Keifer Sutherland and Ewan McGregor, and with polishing, his acting skills might someday be as good as those actors too.

* * *

After watching Jarhead (and consuming 4 buckets of popcorn among the 3 of us), Hanks went off to Greenbelt to meet her friends and Abi and I headed for the Podium to meet one of ours, Julie. I haven't seen Julie since graduating from Ateneo (that's almost 6 years! gawd, that's ages!), and it was wonderful to see her again and catch up on what we've been doing since coming down from the Hill. We had dinner at Yaku, but talked more than we ate (I could still feel the popcorn resting in my tummy anyway). Reconnecting with an old friend is such a refreshing experience, and I was sorry that we had to cut our evening short because Abi had to go and I was hitching a ride home with her. We promised Julie that we would plan another girls' night out very soon, and I definitely am not going to wait another 6 years. You can't-- shouldn't-- stay away from a good friend that long.

2 Comments:

At Sunday, January 22, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't seen Jarhead but I come with a good recommendation of Garden State. :) Peter Sarsgaard plays his role well in that movie, but my attention was more directed towards Natalie Portman's and Zach Braff's fabulous performances (especially since I'm used to seeing a comical Zach Braff in Scrubs. He wrote and directed the movie too!). That aside, I think it's a movie you shouldn't miss! :D

P.S. Jake Gyllenhaal in a g-string!!

 
At Monday, January 23, 2006, Blogger Ailee Through the Looking Glass said...

I knew I wouldn't have to write a review of the movie. :p I agree with you whole-heartedly on the great narrative and the moving message (at least moving to anyone not hopelessly dense), and let's not forget the soundtrack, haha. So it was 300 bucks well-blown. Besides, you have successfully brainwashed me into becoming a Jake Gyllenhaal fan. But I still say Peter Sarsgaard was the real gem in this movie (diamond in the rough, so to speak). Must see Garden State!!

P.S. Looking forward to GT squared! ;p Just tell me when and where!

P.P.S. What our moms don't know won't hurt them! Hahaha.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home