Thursday, February 08, 2007

A note of thanks to a Xavier boy

I don't know if it's because I'm not ICAn, but I have never had a high estimation of Xavier boys. Back during college, my friends and I would debate over which all-boy Jesuit school produced the less boorish breed, Ateneo High or Xavier (I'm not saying who voted for whom), and it was usually a close contest. Granted, I had some friends from Xavier who acquitted their school well by being the perfect gentlemen (walked on the side of oncoming traffic when crossing the street, opened car doors, rang doorbells for us and everything-- Ahia and Exxon, I miss you guys! =D), but they were more the exception than the rule.

My impression of Xavier boys did not improve during my two-year stint at ICA. I found that the younger generations were even worse than the guys I knew in college: they were unruly, discourteous, thoughtless, and obnoxious... although admittedly it could have just been because of the relative difference in age, and because I hated them for preying on my kids. :p Of course, there were a select few who were nice kids, but they were definitely in the minority. In any case, my opinion of the boys from across the way has sunk to a new low over the past few years.

So last night's short encounter with an unknown Xavier boy was a pleasant surprise indeed. My dad and I came home from the office to find a van parked outside our house, occupying the usual space where our own van goes. This happens to us quite often since our house is conveniently located right beside the Madison guardhouse of North Greenhills, so people going to Madison Square or Ash Creek or ICA or Xavier or even Mary the Queen use our street as a parking lot. Seeing as he had no other choice, my dad, already having a hard time with our van's manual transmission, maneuvered our big hulk of a vehicle behind the rogue van. Before either of us could get out though, a guy in his late teens or early 20s, dressed for basketball, showed up at my dad's window. My dad opened his door and the guy went, "Uncle, do you want me to move my car?"

My dad and I were both startled, not because he popped up from nowhere, but because he was so... POLITE. At first I thought it was one of my brother's friends, since he had called my dad "uncle", but I didn't recognize him and he didn't introduce himself as such.
Apparently he was some Xavier student or alumnus on his way to school to play basketball. He had just parked and had started walking to Xavier when we arrived and he saw that he had deprived our van of a place to park. He could have simply ignored us and walked on, but the guy went back and moved his van to the other side of the street, with my dad's thanks.

My dad was very impressed with the small but considerate gesture, as was I. It helped bolster the little faith I have left that decent Xavier boys can still be found. So to the guy who parked outside our house last night, whoever you are, if you happen to read this-- props to you for redeeming your school and your kind in my eyes. And for the record, you guys lead Ateneo High in my book. :)

2 Comments:

At Thursday, February 08, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sadly, that's the truth. I know a few who are respectable Xavierians, some are the complete opposite.

And yet, most ICAns still end up with Xaverians. Haha.

 
At Thursday, February 08, 2007, Blogger Ailee Through the Looking Glass said...

I can only hope you guys end up with the few decent ones. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home