Monday, April 16, 2007

Kill 'em with kindness

Two separate and unrelated incidents last week made me reevaluate how I deal with situations where I am being picked on. Since both matters are of somewhat sensitive natures, I won't go into specifics. Suffice it to say, I was among some who were on the receiving end of some rather shabby treatment.

I actually surprised myself by reacting rather calmly in both instances. Instead of my usual flare-up-and-fight impulse, I took a long hard look at the blow dealt, mulled over what I should do in response, decided upon what I felt was the RIGHT thing to do, and went and did it. That doesn't mean I wasn't angry; heck, I was livid over the second affront, as several long, rage-filled text messages to my friends can prove. But I realized that lashing back would not help any, and in fact might make things worse. Civility was my weapon of choice. I figure, not only is it less exhausting to wield, it can be just as effective (if not more), and when the skirmish is over, I can trudge off the battlefield with my head held high, knowing I engaged my adversary like a decent human being... even if the same consideration was not accorded to me.

I believe strongly in basic courtesy and respect. Even in conflict, I will not wage wars using low blows and cheap tactics. I will stand up for myself, but I refuse to do so while pushing someone else down.

Besides, some battles-- and some antagonists-- are just not worth fighting.

2 Comments:

At Wednesday, April 18, 2007, Blogger Jen said...

how cryptic :P but inspiring nonetheless

 
At Wednesday, April 18, 2007, Blogger Ailee Through the Looking Glass said...

I'll tell you all about it in May when you come home. Too complicated to relay via YM. :p

 

Post a Comment

<< Home