Tuesday, April 03, 2007

There's a kind of hush

Ever notice how a peaceful sort of quiet creeps into Manila during Holy Week, even before Maundy Thursday? The streets aren't as congested with traffic, the malls aren't as full of shoppers, and there's not even much news in the papers or on TV. It's probably owing to the gradual exodus of its denizens, who customarily head to the provinces or other countries for family reunions, retreats or vacations. Soon the metro will resemble a ghost town; this year, the malls and department stores will be closed on both Maundy Thursday and Good Friday, and most restaurants too, which leaves pretty much no reason for people to leave home on those 2 days.

I, for one, will be heading to Tagaytay with my high school barkada. We'll be staying at a unit in Belleview in Highlands, and I expect to do nothing beyond eating, sleeping (but not much of that), drinking, talking (definitely a LOT of that), camwhoring, and lounging around. Then on Easter Sunday, I'm flying to Cebu with my cousin Abi to attend a wedding, inspect some store spaces being offered to us in SM's expansion mall, and interview sales assistant applicants for our soon-to-open Ep Espada store in Ayala Center Cebu. It's really more work than play (even attending a wedding counts as work =S), but as long as Abi's with me, I'm sure we'll manage to have fun on our overnighter. Plus I may meet up with 2 college friends while I'm there (Daisy, Mike, I'll text you guys =D).

So as quiet as Manila will be this week, I actually won't be around to appreciate it (or get bored out of my skull). However, as early as now, it's nice to feel the metro's tension easing up as it settles down for a few days of well-deserved rest.

Have a good week ahead, everyone, wherever you will be.

P.S. I just realized my blog and my friend Fara share a birthday. The View From Saturday turns two years old today, and Fara... Fara would rather I not disclose her age. :p

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home