Monday, August 13, 2007

Pwedeng magrequest?

Matchbox Twenty, my favorite band of all time, is coming out with a greatest hits album in October. I'm sure tracks like "Push", "3 AM", "Mad Season", "Bent", and "Unwell" will make the cut, but I hope some less popular songs I love make it as well. Though I know Rob Thomas and the boys won't be reading my blog or following my advice, I would like to make my case for the following to pleasepleaseplease be included in the album:

1. Back 2 Good - This is my absolute favorite Matchbox Twenty song, AND my absolute favorite song, period. The lyrics are bitingly angry yet achingly sad, and speak of a universal loneliness that transcends the usual break-up blues. My favorite lines:

"Everyone here's to blame,
Everyone here
Gets caught up in the pleasure of the pain,
Everyone hides shades of shame,
But looking inside we're the same, we're the same
And we're all grown now,
But we don't know how
To get it back to good"

Tell me that's not good.

2. Hang - Definitely not one of Matchbox Twenty's more well-known tracks, but I'm a sucker for songs about the pain of saying goodbye. Plus, my friend Chris once played this on his guitar for me, and only upon hearing the acoustic version was I struck by how beautiful the melody was.

3. Rest Stop - I appreciate brutal honesty, and it don't come more brutally honest than

"While you were sleeping
I was listening to the radio
And wondering what you're dreaming when
It came to mind that I didn't care"

'Nuff said.

4. Last Beautiful Girl - As you can probably tell, Matchbox Twenty seems to specialize in break-up songs, and while this one doesn't sound like it (the melody's quite smooth and doesn't get edgy until the refrain), it's one of their most spiteful and bitter. And this is one band that is at its best when bitter.

5. Disease - As can be expected from a rock track co-written by Mick Jagger, this song is catchy, dance-able, and sexy. It still has the trademark Matchbox breaking-up-is-hard-to-do message, but delivered in an uncharacteristically un-angry, groovy way.

6. If You're Gone - This one has an excellent chance of being included in the album, so I don't really need to petition for it, but I just want to say that this is the best please-don't-leave-me song I've ever heard: plaintive without being whiny, heartfelt without being sappy, and it has the killer line "there's a little bit of something me In everything in you". How could anyone have the heart to go?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home