Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Starbucks sucker

So I heard on the radio yesterday that Starbucks is at it again with their devious holiday promo/scam: collect 21 stickers on a card and get a limited edition planner worth far less than the 21 overpriced coffee beverages consumed. It was also mentioned on air that aside from the Toffee Nut Latte and the Peppermint Mocha of last year, Starbucks has added Creme Brulee Latte to their holiday specialty drinks.

So like the gullible chump/caffeine junkie that I am, this morning I drop by 1 of the 5 Starbucks in Greenhills (can you believe there are 5 Starbucks in such a small area?) to test a Creme Brulee Latte and to get my 1st sticker.

Baaad idea.

First, the Creme Brulee Latte tasted nothing like creme brulee. It had more of an Irish cream flavor to it, and while I actually like Irish cream (I looove Bailey's), it's a letdown when you're expecting something as sinfully sweet and rich as creme brulee. Second, recall that I have been avoiding coffee ever since I learned of my heart condition. I didn't ask for a decaf, so I think my system couldn't handle the sudden caffeine jolt after having been deprived of it for so long, and it wreaked havoc with my digestive functions, to put it discreetly. Third, it occurred to me that the 2005 Starbucks planner I got from last year's manic sticker-collecting has nothing but blank pages from the month of June onwards, owing to the acquisition of my Palm and my inherent ningas cogon tendency. I seriously doubt I will have much use for a 2006 planner.

Like I said, stupid, stupid idea.

Maybe I'll have the Peppermint Mocha tomorrow.

2 Comments:

At Wednesday, November 09, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Consumer loyalty is what makes high price comapanies, such as Starbucks, thrive! Kill those dang companies!

Kidding! They actually take care of their customers. My teacher in International Business is a Starbucks afficionado. Starbucks gave her a bday card plus a gift card too. Amazing, ey?

Just letting you know that i'm still alive and well, Ms. Lim. :)

 
At Wednesday, November 09, 2005, Blogger Ailee Through the Looking Glass said...

I doubt Starbucks here would be that nice to a loyal customer like me. On the other hand, my dad gets treated like royalty at UCC. I suppose if you show up as often as he does you're bound to get better service. ;p

Always good to hear from you Jac! Keep the comments coming. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home