Sunday, December 04, 2005

What a week

After 4 days of playing gracious host to our Thai guests, I felt drained as I've never felt drained before. It wasn't even physical fatigue, since we were always chauffeured around town and the closest thing to exercise I got all week was walking around malls and department stores so that the Thais could check out the market, the competition, the merchandise, etc. Besides, we treated them to some of the best meals Manila has to offer during the whole time they were here, so that meant I as their official tour guide was well-fed too. No, I was spent on an entirely different level-- but not even mentally, because it required so little brain activity, and certainly not emotionally, because there was no affection nor resentment (heck, not even mild dislike) involved. I just felt utterly depleted somewhere inside after all the painfully polite conversations, solicitous gestures, and various courtesies, pleasantries and niceties that I had to engage in. I guess the effort that went into being so damn hospitable sapped me of energy, and by the time I dropped them off at the airport yesterday afternoon, I was ready to collapse.

But then, like the rider in Frost's immortal poem, I had promises to keep before I could indulge in rest or sleep. So I dragged my weary butt to Xavier to meet some friends at the Wish bazaar and to support AXD in the Season of RoXs battle of the bands (Pat, Stef, Gra-- I love you guys that much :p). After that, just when I thought I was running on an empty tank and about to crash and burn, I met up with Fara for dinner. And I was so very relieved to be around someone I didn't have to be nice to (after all, your truest friends are the ones whom you can freely abuse), and I was so very grateful for the familiar, comfortable company that I could have wept had I been the weeping kind. Later Lynn joined us for dessert at Bizu, and I was completely cured of my exhaustion by a mixed remedy of sinful chocolate cakes, insane conversation, and hysterical laughter. I don't think I've ever appreciated Fara (HSC) and Lynn (GOD) more. Thanks to my dear friends, I went to bed the most relaxed and happy I'd been in the past week, and already beginning to forget my tiring time with the Thais.

3 Comments:

At Monday, December 05, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess the effort that went into being so damn hospitable sapped me of energy..

I completely understand what you mean! Why is it more draining to be nice? :P Guess it's nor in our nature...hahaha kidding :)

 
At Tuesday, December 06, 2005, Blogger Ailee Through the Looking Glass said...

I think you're right, it's just not in me to be so diplomatic and tactful and all prim and proper. Ick. So maybe it was holding back my real personality that tired me out. Haha.

 
At Tuesday, December 06, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awwww :) I really had fun that night, Ailee person... I hope we can do that more often. Hehehe :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home