Monday, November 14, 2005

Fair is foul, foul is fair

2 noteworthy events from yesterday: I got my hair straightened, and I finished reading Wicked... and I did them at the same time. I ate up-- nay, devoured-- page after page of Gregory Maguire's wonderful, wonderful novel as I sat through the tedious process of having my frizzy mane tamed (I blame my mother's genes for giving me accursed wavy hair). They call this new-fangled procedure "hair management", the effects of which lie somewhere between those of rebonding and relaxing, according to the stylist. Since the salon was having a 50% anniversary discount on all services, I took it as a cosmic sign to go ahead and get my messy mop "managed" (I also got a manicure and pedicure while I was at it-- hey, it was 50% off on all services!).

Now I hate time-consuming beauty regimens (especially when smelly chemicals are involved), so it was a good thing I had brought along my copy of Wicked to get me through the afternoon. Wicked is a retelling of the classic tale The Wizard of Oz, this time centering on the Wicked Witch of the West as protagonist rather than antagonist. It was such an enthralling read that I barely flinched whenever the stylist accidentally touched the hair iron to my scalp. If I were asked to write a book review of Wicked, I would fail miserably, because I haven't the words to describe Maguire's mesmerizing masterpiece. I am reduced to a shameful puddle of incoherent ineptitude as I even consider coming close to capturing the powerful prose, inspired imagination, provoking profundity and fiery feeling-- not even emotion or passion, but feeling-- woven together in Wicked. I haven't been attacked by writer envy in so long, but I was positively green (how appropriate) that Maguire could be credited with such a clever, creative, and devastatingly delightful concoction. After I finished the final page I wanted to put down the book and applaud (but I was still at the parlor so I restrained myself). In short, I was bewitched, bothered, bewildered and blown away by Wicked. Bravo.

6 Comments:

At Tuesday, November 15, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oooo, now THAT i wanna see! hehe post a pic of your new hair! i never thought you were that vain about your hair etc. hahaha now you'll look even more like an ican with your oh-so-straight hair! haha omy.. i just thought of something.. straight hair.. newly done nails... wearing skirts... hmm.. do you have a new man in your life?!?!?! =O

thankgod i live miles and miles and miles away from you. i know youre ready to kill me. hahahhaha oh yeah, and i wanna be invited to your wedding with this new mystery man. he better be a hunk! hahahah :))

 
At Tuesday, November 15, 2005, Blogger Ailee Through the Looking Glass said...

It's not vanity, it's maintenance. ;)

And the only reason I never wore skirts in ICA was my fear of mosquitoes... and of nitpicky students like you who might make fun of my legs. xp

And there is no mystery man in my life right now, hunky or otherwise. Besides, even if there were, what makes you think I'd tell YOU? So don't hold your breath for a wedding invitation... :p

 
At Tuesday, November 15, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey, i never said ANYTHING about your legs! hahahaha but now that you mentioned it..... hahahaha im just kiddin. im not as EVIL as you are. i see you havent changed. not one bit! hahahaha jas keeeeding peace! ;p

 
At Tuesday, November 15, 2005, Blogger Ailee Through the Looking Glass said...

You're certainly not as evil as I am, but you're evil all the same. You learned from the best, didn't you? ;p

 
At Thursday, November 17, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

heeeyyy!! I've read Confessions of a Wicked Stepsister (also by Maguire), and found it quite entertaining :) Planning on reading Wicked, but not here in Canada, where all books are EXTREMELY overpriced. Compared to Phil. book prices, anyway :P I already have a list of books to read when I get home! haha! I guess Wicked is officially part of that list now :) Thanks for the review, Ms Lim!

 
At Thursday, November 17, 2005, Blogger Ailee Through the Looking Glass said...

I've asked a friend of mine vacationing in the US to buy Maguire's other books for me (Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister, Mirror, Mirror and Lost). They're only about US$11 each on Amazon, with free shipping if you spend more than $25 online. You might want to check that out. :) Book prices in Manila aren't exactly that cheap anymore, and the selection sucks, so I'm willing to shell out extra to get the titles I want.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home