Monday, May 15, 2006

That wasn't so bad...

Normally I loathe attending weddings of family friends, especially with my mom, since she enjoys hobnobbing and I enjoy it as much as root canal. Frankly, I find the pleasantries and pretentions tiresome, and the effort of putting on a nice dress, fixing my hair and applying makeup is a big bother. Worse still is if the wedding takes place in the province, giving me extra troubles like figuring out how to pack my dress without it getting all wrinkly, making room in a small suitcase for a shoebox containing my party shoes, and safely transporting expensive jewelry.

But this time around, I actually enjoyed my overnighter in Cagayan de Oro for Sandy Gaisano's wedding (May 14), primarily due to the fun company I had. Ironically enough, I was saved from silly social graces and painful plastic exchanges by family friends, more specifically their daughters. Aside from sisters Susan and Angela, who are always a riot to be with, loud boisterous voices and all, I hung out with sisters-in-law Cherry and Ivy (who are also old friends of Susan and Angela), and the surprise treat of the trip, Shereen Yao, an ICAn (Zephyrz batch) who was supposed to have been my student had she not left for Singapore to study. Shereen was a blast to be with because a) she reminded me of my students, who never fail to energize me, and Shereen was no different; b) she is one of very few ICAns (my students' age at least) I can talk to in Taglish and even a sprinkling of Fookienese; c) she doesn't call me Ms. Lim or " 'cher"; and d) she's a very sweet, smart and outgoing girl. I felt sorry that I never got to be her teacher, but maybe it was a belated blessing in disguise, because I don't think a former student would have been able to save me from what I thought would be a trying, torturous 2 days in CDO.

P.S. Congratulations to my brother, 1st runner-up in the Mercedes Trophy golf tournament, Class A division! *proud atsi applause*

5 Comments:

At Tuesday, May 16, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

so what does she call you? and i know you just miss me! you dont have to be shy to admit it! hahahaha ;p

 
At Tuesday, May 16, 2006, Blogger Ailee Through the Looking Glass said...

She calls me "Atsi Aileesa". Haha.

Did I even use the word "miss" or mention the name "Heidi" in my blog entry? I think not. :p

 
At Tuesday, May 16, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you didnt have to say it, i can totally read between the lines. hahaha ;p oh oh i need to ask a favor from you but ill just ym you next time! :D teehee

 
At Thursday, May 18, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

shereen's really sweet :) what a smaaaaall world... still have to round everyone up. they're stressed with summer classes!

 
At Friday, May 19, 2006, Blogger Ailee Through the Looking Glass said...

"they're stressed with summer classes!" Tsk, tsk, matters of consequence. What happened to wasting time on your roses? Did you guys learn nothing from me? ;p

 

Post a Comment

<< Home