Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Tag teams

Last night I had dinner with Margaux and two of our Cyrenz students, Jo and Chars, best friends and alpha women extraordinaire (according to Jo's boyfriend the self-confessed pansy :p). Jo and Chars are two of the most intelligent people I've ever met... so smart, it scares me how I can carry on a thoroughly engaging adult conversation with two 18-year-old girls. I have had people tell me Jo reminds them of me or I remind them of Jo, while others claim Chars is a less nasty, more girly version of me. I take those as very high compliments indeed.

My sister came home from Hong Kong last night. She was gone for only three days but I missed her. We've been roomies for 22 years, and I'm so used to having her around I get disoriented when I don't see her within 24 hours. I don't know how I managed to survive living in Beijing for half a year without her (the day I left I was crying when I hugged her goodbye; I never got homesick but I did miss my siblings terribly the whole time we were apart). I don't want to think about the separation anxiety I'll have when one of us leaves the house for good (whoever goes first; fair contest as of now, haha).

Next week I'll be accompanying my dad to New York to attend the annual Arrow global conference. I'm so excited. I've only been to New York once, on tour, but I've always liked the city (been brainwashed by all the TV shows that create this cool image of the Big Apple, hehe). My dad promises to go wherever I want to go on our free day (I feel like a spoiled five-year-old). Tangsoc recommended we go to Serendipty (yes, the same cafe in the movie of the same name) and have their frozen hot chocolate (my mouth was already watering when she mentioned it). I also want to see The Lion King on Broadway. I only wish my sister were going with us. Sniff. Here I go again.

3 Comments:

At Friday, June 10, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow! COOL!!! you're going to new york?! i haven't been there yet...people say its so boring there. its just a city filled with museums and buildings. anyway, dont forget to eat hotdogs sold on the sidewalks:D theres a place thats called "Papaya King" which i heard of from discovery channel and its located on the corner of 3rd st. and east 86 st. I am not that sure of the facts and i am sure i dont wanna be the cause of your aching feet because you can't find it:D they are supposedly famous for their hotdogs that "snap" i think. hope it tastes good...njoy!:D

 
At Wednesday, June 15, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey ms. lim! good luck in new york! i don't know about u, but i absolutely love museums! (or at least the ones i've been to, anyway) and i totally reccomend watching the Lion King, broadway!! its fantastic!!! and if you're interested, Saturday Night Fever is playing in Hong Kong! i would totally love to watch it, but its only playing around june-july. and i've got school. : ( i also want to add that thanks to you, almost the entire Charity 04-05 instantly recognizes the arrow guy!! u know, the broody-looking guy on the arrow calendar u gave us!! as in, im walking around podium, then i stop and see this life-sized cardboard him in the arrow store window. i tell my sister, hey, its the arrow guy, and walk on. : )

 
At Monday, June 20, 2005, Blogger Ailee Through the Looking Glass said...

Heyyy, you shouldn't just walk on! You should see the Arrow guy, recognize him, point him out to others, then walk into the store, look around, and BUY something. Haha. And no, that calendar doesn't serve as a discount card. Everyone asks that. :p

 

Post a Comment

<< Home