Monday, May 23, 2005

Sunrise, sunset

I watched Before Sunset on DVD yesterday. How did I find the sequel to my favorite romantic movie of all time? Well, it did not unseat Before Sunrise as my favorite romantic movie of all time, but I still loved it. Ethan Hawke was skinnier and not as hot as he was years ago, but the chemistry between him and Julie Delpy was still terrific. Though it was a film that had more talk than action, I couldn't take my eyes off the screen. The conversation between Celine and Jesse was so riveting that my ears and brain didn't seem to be enough to absorb it all. My favorite part was when they were in the car and Celine had just lost it, causing Jesse to unleash a torrent of his own bottled-up-for-9-years emotions, and as he looks away she reaches over as if to touch his hair... then pulls back at the last second. It was such a small, innocent gesture, but it was so natural, so real, that it was poignant and passionate even without making physical contact.

Bottom line: I wish they would make less goofy, insipid romantic comedies and more of these "true" love stories that appeal to both the intellectual snob and the sentimental fool in me.

4 Comments:

At Wednesday, September 28, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sniff. I loved both of those movies. I can watch them over and over and over again and not get sick of them. They don't make romantic movies with good dialogue anymore. :(

There was a scene in the first movie similar to that one where he was going to touch her hair in the car...

(OK, my comments are SO overdue bec I never read these entries before, but better late than never...?)

-Jo

 
At Wednesday, September 28, 2005, Blogger Ailee Through the Looking Glass said...

Haha, you should read my review of Batman Begins. Yours was more detailed but I think we agreed on almost all the same things. :) Oh, and my review of Harry Potter 6 also mentions that Book 3 is still the best of the series in my opinion. I'm beginning to wonder if we will ever seriously disagree about anything. :p

 
At Wednesday, September 28, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We disagree over Clive Owens and Rob Thomas.

 
At Wednesday, September 28, 2005, Blogger Ailee Through the Looking Glass said...

*shakes head* You and Ramos...

I guess there's really no accounting for taste. Especially taste in men. :p

 

Post a Comment

<< Home