Monday, August 15, 2005

Gone

I had my hair cut yesterday, chopping off almost 3 inches— 4 in some parts, because I got layers. Normally I hate getting haircuts because I find that even the best stylists tend to screw up the simplest instructions: you tell them to take an inch off, they lop off 2 and a half; you tell them you don’t want bangs, they give you wisps that keep falling into your eyes; you tell them you want to look like Rachel from Friends, they make you look like Kramer from Seinfeld. And anyone who has ever had a bad haircut knows there is nothing worse than showing up to class or work the following day and have everyone going, “Patay na ba yung gumupit ng buhok mo?”

Yesterday though, sitting there watching the stylist snip merrily away, instead of the usual gripping dread, I felt an odd calm (and to think the stylist was new and had never cut my hair before). Even when he asked if he could hack off a few more centimeters, I just nodded placidly, letting him do his thing. Amazingly enough, it turned out better than I expected. Shorter than I expected, true, but not horrible at all. It’s going to be a challenge to tame the layers every morning, yes, but no one really cares what I look like at the office (unlike some delightful students who used to greet me in the halls when I had just arrived at school, cheerfully pointing out that I looked sabog :p).

Unfortunately, hair wasn’t the only thing I lost yesterday. My precious Palm Tungsten T5 conked out on me and wouldn’t switch on. All my attempts to reset and recharge were futile. In my panic I texted my trusty tech support pal Fara, and though her suggestions didn’t work either, and she just ended up advising me to bring the unit to a service center to have it fixed, I felt better knowing this advice was coming from Fara. At one point though she threw me into a renewed state of panic when she asked if the warranty was still valid, and I realized I didn’t know where I had put the receipt. When I told her that, she almost had a heart attack— Fara, the most OC person I know (who keeps her important documents in Ziploc bags), thinks a careless act like that completely unconscionable, and good thing I unearthed the receipt from the pile of junk on my desk, or she might have lectured me about it for the rest of our natural lives.


Today I’m sending my Tungsten T5 to be repaired. They might send back a new unit to replace the busted one, or figure out a way to fix the unit, but not without wiping out all my stored data. Sigh. Don’t you just hate it when you lose something? At least hair grows back…

8 Comments:

At Monday, August 15, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You mean have everyone going, “Patay na ba yung gumupit ng buhok mo?” in their heads while the words that are coming out of their mouths are, "You look...different." with matching nervous/supposedly reassuring smile.

"You tell them you want to look like Rachel from Friends, they make you look like Kramer from Seinfeld." Heheh. I've had my fair share of disaster haircuts. ><

 
At Monday, August 15, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ms lim! post naman a picture of your new haircut o. i wanna see! =D

 
At Tuesday, August 16, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, wanna see your haircut too, Ms. Lim!!! :)

Oh ya, is that Ms. Uy? The OC person? Hahahahaha :D I miss Ms. Uy! :)

 
At Tuesday, August 16, 2005, Blogger Ailee Through the Looking Glass said...

Haha, it's not THAT great of a haircut you guys... certainly not as drastic as Ms.Cua's funky 'do. :) I'll probably post pix of our AP-Annex dinner tomorrow, you can take a peek at me then. But I'm warning you, no "patay na ba yung gumupit ng buhok mo" cracks, even in your heads. :p

 
At Tuesday, August 16, 2005, Blogger Ailee Through the Looking Glass said...

P.S. Yes Jac, that OC person is indeed Ms. Uy. Hehe.

 
At Tuesday, August 16, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wehehe... talk about funky do's. i had my hair cut last sunday din. and i asked MY stylist to do the normal thing he does and to fix the color of my hair (coz my red hair is growing out). Pero shempre something has to go wrong. My hair is still funky short (a bit too short-- so pogi na pogi na ako. rain tragico calls me hua ze lei but i think i look more like the dau ming si with the pineapple haircut) and sobrang red na ata (remember from before, hindi obvious yung color? ngayon medyo bright red na and loids said nagrereflect daw sa yellow uniform namin). And to think this guy is my regular guy! Excited to see your haircut! See you tom Ailee! I'm sure you still look fabulous (considering you don't have that sabog-teacher look we all have)!

 
At Wednesday, August 17, 2005, Blogger Ailee Through the Looking Glass said...

Ack, Margaux, I'm beginning to regret getting this haircut na nga e. I can't tie my hair back properly and when it's down, the layers go all over the place. I look like the girl in the "mahangin ba sa labas" shampoo ad. Anyway, you'll see tonight what I'm moaning about. Haaay.

 
At Wednesday, August 17, 2005, Blogger Ailee Through the Looking Glass said...

P.S. Huazi Lei huh? Baka magka-crush ako sa yo ha. ;p

 

Post a Comment

<< Home