Saturday, September 03, 2005

What's in Dumaguete?

Well, I'm going to find out. My mom has to attend a party there on Monday so we're taking a flight to Dumaguete tomorrow morning. Next Saturday she's going to be a sponsor for a wedding in Cebu, and I'm going to tag along as well. I'm just happy that these trips will not coincide with the weekend of the intrams, which I am looking forward to with much excitement. Let's go Fyrinx!!

* * *
This week we had a balikbayan guest from the US in town on vacation, Ahia Michael, one of my dad's former students in table tennis (Pa used to coach ping-pong when he was younger, and he was also a player and coach on our national team, so yes, he was good). I think it mildly depresses him to be reminded of how old he is, seeing that the kid he used to train is now married with a kid of his own. But I can also see a youthful glow of joy and pride on his face when he's around Michael, recounting the good ol' days. It makes me wonder what it would be like 20, 30 years from now when I get together with my students. :)

4 Comments:

At Monday, September 05, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oww! Kind of reminds me of Calvin Klein's movies. Shux, i don't even know if i had the spelling of his name right.

Do you know the movie wherein he saw one of his students cheating then after a couple of years, he still sees that his former student is cheating then he destroys how the son sees his father by letting the dad reveal that he cheated. Shux, my sentence is grammatically incorrect. Run on sentence! Whahahaha OH well. Do you know the title of that movie?

Love teacher-student flicks like that...oww.. Too bad i'm bad with movie titles...

 
At Wednesday, September 07, 2005, Blogger Ailee Through the Looking Glass said...

Hmm, I think you mean Kevin Kline the actor, not Calvin Klein the designer. :p Yeah, I saw that movie, The Emperors Club (was there an apostrophe in the title?). Jo quoted from that movie in her welcoming address during your graduation. When I think about that film I get a little sad because it reminds me of certain unpleasant incidents that happened during my teaching years... I'm sure you know what I mean. ;)

 
At Saturday, September 10, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah! That movie! Sorry about the spelling errors and such. My bad. I'm not so good with actors and movies, unlike you, Ms Lim! Hahahaha :D

Oh ya, i remember. Hahahahaha :D At least now it's all done and over with, ey? :)

 
At Saturday, September 10, 2005, Blogger Ailee Through the Looking Glass said...

You should meet my sister. Now there's a real Hollywood nut and film buff. :)

And yes, I'm glad that's all in the past. It's still a painful memory (and I believe it always will be) but in a twisted way I'm also grateful for the experience because I learned a lot from it. And I hope I wasn't the only one.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home