Sunday, August 21, 2005

What a steal!

Yesterday I bought 2 pairs of really nice flip-flops at the Greenhills tiangge, one pair for P150 (brown Havaiana dead ringers but without the brand on the strap, which I find tacky anyway), and another pair for P140 (blue imitations of Nike flip-flops I've been lusting after since June). The genuine articles would have set me back more than a thousand bucks a pair, so I was practically cackling with glee as I purchased the knock-offs.

Also, I almost bought an export-overrun American Eagle warm-up jacket, a bargain at P500, but I balked and decided to just go back in a week to see if the price would have gone down to P450 or even P400. Yep, I am a cheap bastard.

Buying fake branded goods makes me a tad guilty, seeing as how my own family is in retail, and we'd have a problem if people started selling counterfeit products of our brands. In fact, we've already found fake Arrow shirts in several tiangges (one of my students was thoughtful enough to tip me off once about a certain stall in Greenhills-- thanks, Franke!). We aren't rejoicing over it, and it riles me that others are profiting illegally from our brand, but we have to be realistic: there's not much we can do about it (you don't see Abercrombie & Fitch or Von Dutch going on tiangge raid rampages, do you?). Besides, my dad reasons out, it's a compliment to be copied, because it means that Arrow has become worth imitating. :p

So I don't know if buying fake stuff from tiangges makes me a hypocrite, but I do know it sure makes me a very happy shopper... with 2 new pairs of cute flip-flops that look like a thousand bucks.

4 Comments:

At Monday, August 22, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i frequent the greenhills tiangge, but i only buy tops na walang nakasulat na brand in front =p i feel more uncomfortable buying fake shoes hahaha =D

 
At Monday, August 22, 2005, Blogger Ailee Through the Looking Glass said...

I never buy fake shoes, I love my feet too much to scrimp on quality footwear. But slippers are ok, and these flip-flops are really comfy. :)

 
At Tuesday, August 23, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's the wearer that makes the brand stick out! Well, i don't know if you get what i'm saying but hey, that's my belief!

Oh yeah, the export over-run is good, ey? I love export over-runs!

Fake shoes, just like kassie, i'm not such a big fan either. I find out that they get destroyed faster and easily by my feet cz i go everywhere! Rugged man! Hehehehehe :D

 
At Tuesday, August 23, 2005, Blogger Ailee Through the Looking Glass said...

I agree! Sometimes it's not what you're wearing but how you're wearing it. As Carson Kressley says, attitude is the best accessory. ;p

Hmm, I think I'll go back to the tiangge this weekend to see if they'll sell me the AE jacket for P450. And I want to look for a new pair of shorts, a white tee... and maybe more flip-flops. Haha.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home