Wednesday, October 12, 2005

This blogger is a bookworm

I am thrilled to no end that the Fully Booked branch in The Promenade is so huge, well-stocked, and near our house. Last week I blew a couple of thousand bucks on books that I just had to get, including Terry Pratchett's Wyrd Sisters (anyone who has read Macbeth will get a kick out of this amusing parody), Wicked, the novel on which the Broadway musical was based (and which Maddy wants to borrow when sem break rolls around), and The Ethics of Star Trek (I'm a Trekkie and a pop philo reader-- something tells me I should be embarrassed, but I'm not :p).

The problem with having Fully Booked so close by is that we go there often, and I have a hard time keeping my book-buying compulsions in check. As it is, the stack of books on my bedside table has grown to such an extent that the table can't hold them all anymore. I am buying books faster than I am finishing reading them. I have yet started on The Chronicles of Narnia, and I am determined to read all 7 volumes before seeing the film adaptation of The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe this December. My brother, a devout Neil Gaiman acolyte, is shoving his copy of Anansi Boys at me, insisting I bump it up my booklist. Then my sister recently found a copy of The Princess Bride (for those who haven't seen the film adaptation of the same title: you absolutely must go watch it! I have the DVD copy if anyone's interested...), and I am tempted to read it right after I get done with Wyrd Sisters. Not to mention all the eBooks I now have in my Palm.

The simple solution is to stop buying books until I'm through with all the titles I have on hand, but I can't help it. Besides, I found out that I can get a Fully Booked discount card with P15,000 worth of receipts... and I'm now only 6,000 bucks away from discounted book-buying binges... or bankruptcy, whichever comes first.

I'm going to need a bigger bedside table.

10 Comments:

At Wednesday, October 12, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wicked! I heard it's good. I've read Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister, it's written by the same author and it was really good :)

 
At Wednesday, October 12, 2005, Blogger Ailee Through the Looking Glass said...

Ooh, may I borrow that? But that means I'll have another book to prioritize before the others on my reading list... help, I'm out of control! Haha.

 
At Wednesday, October 12, 2005, Blogger Elyse said...

My sister just got the entire set of the chronicles too! and been eyeing on it! hey! i've finished a curious incident! SUPERB :)

 
At Thursday, October 13, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have that same book-buying problem. I live nowhere near a well-stocked bookstore. When I find a really good book on one of my book-buying sprees I immediately want to get it because I'm afraid that someone else might buy it and that I won't see it again, even though I know that I have many more books waiting to be read at home. ^^;

I've started on Wicked, though I have to admit I haven't finished it (haha). Love the musical though, even if I've never watched it and only have the cd.

Have you read Jasper Fforde's The Eyre Affair? :)

 
At Thursday, October 13, 2005, Blogger Ailee Through the Looking Glass said...

Elyse, glad you liked The Curious Incident... :) The point of view the author used was really interesting, wasn't it?

Laureen: I haven't heard of that book. Eyre as in Jane? What's it about? I hope it't not interesting or I'll be asking to borrow it from you too! :p And I'd looove to borrow that Wicked CD! Hehe. I wish we still saw each other on a daily basis so I could get it from you. ;p Did you get the CD here in Manila? Maybe I should just burn myself a copy...

 
At Thursday, October 13, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No problem! I can lend it to you anytime you want, it's just gathering dust for the meantime since everyone in the family is finished with it :) Have you ever read The Time Traveler's Wife? It's one of my absolute favorite books:P

 
At Thursday, October 13, 2005, Blogger Ailee Through the Looking Glass said...

Urk. I think you'd better stop recommending good books to me. The last time you lent me a book I got hooked on the entire trilogy (luckily my best friend gave me the His Dark Materials set as a present, so I didn't have to spend a dime on it :p).

 
At Friday, October 14, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahh...wish i could borrow the new books there! Right now i'm stuck with old old old ones in our library since books here in canada are sooo expensive...especially the new ones like Neil Gaiman's novel "Anansi Boys"! Tsk tsk. Argh!

Wish i was back there in the Phil so that i could borrow tested and true, new books, from everyone out there. Hahahaha :D

I'm such a parasite. Hehe :)

 
At Friday, October 14, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's about a woman, Thursday Next, who's a "Special Operative in literary detection" in an alternate version of Great Britain. Someone kidnaps the character Jane Eyre from the novel, and it's Thursday's job to catch the villain and get her back. Because I know I suck at giving overviews, I'll just add this link for more information: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0142001805/qid=1129253173/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-5769606-1021767?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

I thought you might be interested in it. It's supposedly something that would appeal to Douglas Adams fans, you see. :) I really enjoyed reading it!

I didn't get the Wicked CD in Manila, but like Laura said she can upload the whole thing or you can get it from Limewire. :)

 
At Friday, October 14, 2005, Blogger Ailee Through the Looking Glass said...

I have no qualms about downloading free music. ;p I should check out Limewire one of these days.

Laura: I still remember you singing that song from Wicked at our AP-Annex Christmas party. I got goosebumps listening to you. :)

Jac: I know how painfully expensive books are in Canada. But think of it this way, books are excellent investments. You can reread them a dozen times, they'll never go out of style, and you can pass them on to your kids. :)

Laureen: Dang, I'm intrigued. I will check it out when I find space on my bedside table. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home