Friday, March 24, 2006

Happy 18th, Sandz!

Last night was my student Sandy's 18th birthday party. I had received a lovely hand-made, personalized invitation a week ago, and I felt a pang of nostalgia as I recalled the debuts of my high school friends 8 years ago (8!! cripes!!). Back then cotillions were still "in" and I had actually participated in 2. Since that year I hadn't attended a debut, so I kind of felt old and out-of-it as I got dressed for the occasion (in a mad hurry, as I was running late). The event was held at Bizu Greenbelt; the party took up the entire second floor. I arrived to find the debutante radiant and resplendent in her sparkly pink gown and tiara. I got seated with some of my Wisdom/Sobriety kids, and also exchanged hellos with some of my Openness babies and other ICAns who were there. Dinner was absolutely delicious, but I had to skip dessert because I did a Ms. Pe (mwehehe, love you Mads!) and left at around 10PM, since the driver was needed back home and I had a meeting early the following morning (being a grown-up is such a downer sometimes). At least I got to hear the messages given by 18 of Sandy's friends, although later she told me I missed the video which had a photo of me and her in it. Darn. Why can't I be 18 again? :p

With sparkly celebrant Sandz
With Ma'am Aicha (in a hot dress!), Jan and Sab
The other side of the table: Bern, Madel, Agui and Gen GoForce feeding: shouldn't have eaten before leaving the house!
Emcee of the evening
With Bern: the baby is now a lady!
Gen Go and Gen Tan
Bern (who seems to be in all my pix), Irizze and Bea
Candice and Jermain bring up the rear

4 Comments:

At Saturday, March 25, 2006, Blogger Peej Bernardo said...

I just remembered something that Mr. Pagsi used to say alot. He said: "If you keep company with young people, you never grow old."

One of the best things about being a teacher is seeing former students. Seeing how they've grown and changed, and how they're (God-willing) making a difference in the world.

I used to teach public high school students when I was still in college, and while it wasn't really teaching-TEACHING, it gratifies my heart to receive messages from them years after, reminiscing about days gone by. Sometimes, between words, I even get a inkling that somehow, someway, I had made a difference in their lives.

Stay young, Ails.

peej b.

 
At Sunday, March 26, 2006, Blogger Ailee Through the Looking Glass said...

Right on, Peej. Nothing refreshes the spirit better than hanging around the young. You should try teaching-TEACHING someday. Best thing I've ever done in my life. :)

 
At Sunday, March 26, 2006, Blogger Peej Bernardo said...

Oh, Ails. But I will. But i WILL. As with everything, it's all just a matter of time.

peej b.

 
At Wednesday, March 29, 2006, Blogger sandz24 said...

eeek, i just read this entry! >< hahah. thanks for being there :) and hey, i stole the pic.. i was looking good there than most of the other shots my dad took :| hahaha. hope you had a great time then! :)

and why can't YOU turn 18 agaiN? hahahahah. well, that's life. you just can't :D whee, i wonder who's 18? :D *makingyoujealous* hahah. kidding :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home