Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Upset

I don’t mind that I lost this year’s Oscar betting pool (AGAIN, for the nth year running). I don’t mind that I had to shell out 500 bucks to my brother, who was chortling with glee because he won by a very slim margin (he got Best Actress right, I didn’t, bah!). But I don’t even mind that he has gloating rights until next year’s Academy Awards. And I don’t mind that I lost another 500 bucks to my mom, who made a side bet with me that Reese would win for Best Actress (I should have gone with my gut feel, argh).

What I DO mind is that Brokeback Mountain lost the Best Picture Oscar… to Crash, of all movies! If it had been Good Night and Good Luck, I would at least have been happy for George Clooney, or if it had been Munich, I would have deferred to Steven Spielberg’s… Steven Spielbergness. But CRASH? I found the movie stilted, sanctimonious, and strangely unmoving. No wonder that no one went to see it (except Mishy ;p) when it showed here in Manila late last year. Brokeback, on the other hand, was powerful without being preachy, poignant without being sentimental, and it was arguably the most groundbreaking film of the year. I really cannot believe the Academy chose to bypass Brokeback in favor of Crash. I stew on behalf of Ang Lee, screenwriters Larry McMurtry and Diana Ossana, and of course, Heath and Jake.


In
the aftermath of the Oscars, critics are saying that a lot of Academy members were “uncomfortable” with Brokeback’s controversial theme, and Crash, centering on racial conflict, provided a safer choice. UNCOMFORTABLE?? That’s the whole frickin’ point!! Good movies are supposed to make us uncomfortable. Movies, as with all art forms, should disturb us, shake us out of our complacency, and make us think and contemplate our existence, our humanity. And that, ladies and gentlemen of the Academy, Brokeback did far, far better than Crash. Your “discomfort” is the surest indicator of that. Your failure to grow from and beyond that discomfort became your failure to acknowledge this remarkable, truly outstanding film. Boo!!

11 Comments:

At Tuesday, March 07, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Consolation is Ang Lee won Best Director. :)

 
At Tuesday, March 07, 2006, Blogger Ailee Through the Looking Glass said...

That makes it even more painful. I see it as exactly that, a consolation. They felt fine rewarding the nice Asian director for his efforts, but didn't reward his finished product because it made them "uncomfortable". Cowards.

 
At Tuesday, March 07, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You feel too much for the film, huh? :)

Hmm, the artist is acknowledged, but his masterpiece, not. Not surprising. At least they were not too crazy not to give him the award for the movie. That would have caused a greater damage. Besides, consolations aren't all that bad. ;)

 
At Tuesday, March 07, 2006, Blogger Ailee Through the Looking Glass said...

I lament the injustice of snatching away what a beautiful piece of cinema rightfully deserves, all because it took some people out of their comfort zone. That's just a lousy reason. Besides, I really didn't enjoy Crash. I felt it just benefitted from the late surge of publicity it got right before awards season.

Or maybe I'm just a sore loser. Hmph.

 
At Tuesday, March 07, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If it took people right out of their comfort zone, then it managed to affect people that much. To me, that's all it needs to be a winner. It doesn't matter what the Academy thinks (it's all about prestige and nothing deeper). A good movie must be able to stand on its own and still gain followers afterwards whether or not it has any awards to brag about. And I'm sure Brokeback might just do that. :)

 
At Tuesday, March 07, 2006, Blogger Ailee Through the Looking Glass said...

VERY well put!! *gives Ange a standing ovation* Who needs the Academy's validation anyway? Brokeback is a winner in my book, and I know a lot of people-- the people who matter-- would agree with me. I just hope Ang Lee and his crew all realize that as well. Thanks for putting things in perspective. =D

 
At Tuesday, March 07, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you, thank you very much. You are too kind. XD

Ya, no problem. Glad I could be of help somehow. :)

 
At Wednesday, March 08, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Good movies are supposed to make us uncomfortable. Movies, as with all art forms, should disturb us, shake us out of our complacency, and make us think and contemplate our existence, our humanity."

haha Ms. Lim, I think you'd like Capote. It's one of those movies that leave you shell-shocked.

 
At Wednesday, March 08, 2006, Blogger Ailee Through the Looking Glass said...

I did see Capote, and I thought Phillip Seymour Hoffman was marvelous. I'm so glad he's finally been recognized as a brilliant actor. I've loved him since Scent of a Woman, where he played the snivelling snitch George Willis Jr. "I didn't have my contacts in." Classic. :)

 
At Friday, March 10, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't seen Scent of A Woman, but I've heard of it. Is that in the trial scene?
I have a die-hard Al Pacino fan for a friend who always raves about it. I've been trying to get a copy of it but wala ako mahanap eh :(
P.S.
Have you ever tried attending Cine Europa or one of the screenings at Instituto Cervantes?

 
At Sunday, March 12, 2006, Blogger Ailee Through the Looking Glass said...

I forget that Scent of a Woman was released in 1992, when you guys were just 4 years old! (I can't believe it's been that long!) I think I have the VCD lying around the house somewhere. If I dig it up I'll lend it to you. Next to the Godfather trilogy, it's my favorite Pacino film. Hoohah! ;p

 

Post a Comment

<< Home