Monday, April 25, 2005

Billboard and bouquet beefs

On my way to work this morning, I saw the most baffling ad for eyelash extensions from the Ricky Reyes salons. It declared the extensions to be “semi-permanent.” Um, correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t “semi-permanent” the same thing as temporary??

My cousin Gue got married last Friday, and to the immense relief of all my unmarried female cousins, she forewent the traditional throwing-of-the-bouquet torture and simply handed it to her younger sister (who’s getting married next year anyway, so I hear). “At least we don’t have to go hide in the bathroom anymore,” sniggered my closest cousin and oldest friend Joy (by oldest I’m not referring to age, since she’s a month younger than I am, but to the fact that we’ve been friends since we were in diapers). It’s funny how in the movies women are always shown to be fighting for the bridal bouquet, short of clawing at each other just to get it, but here in the Philippines, women practically cower under the tables to be spared the ignominy of public disclosure of their singleness. I’ve never had a problem with being single, but it’s precisely why I object to the whole silly spectacle. I’m not that desperate (not to mention stupid) to think that by catching a bunch of half-wilted flowers, I am going to walk down the aisle next. Sure, I’m not having much success finding the man of my dreams now, but at least I’m not sacrificing my dignity in the process.

7 Comments:

At Monday, April 25, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's wonderful news that your cousin is headed in the direction towards a new beginning. Marvelous, indeed.

 
At Monday, April 25, 2005, Blogger Ailee Through the Looking Glass said...

Thank you... um... whoever you are. :)

 
At Monday, April 25, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm terrified of marriage, for some reason.

I'm not gonna be able to sleep tonight. All the shadows in my room are bound to turn into wedding veils. (shudder)

 
At Monday, April 25, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, 'semi-permanent' sounds a more positive than the blunt 'temporary'. It must be a marketing strategy. (Or perhaps they're finding it hard to find the correct term for 'temporary, but not as short-term as temporary is commonly perceived to be'. Goodness knows, I can't think up of a word for that either.)

It would be amusing to see my sister throw her boquet but she has told me she would not. She would not waste perfectly good flowers on us masses. She better throw something better then. Like a large lollipop boquet of PHP10 coins (Kidding). I'm sure she's going to press those flowers to add into her scrapbook. She's so meticulous about her scrapbooks. They have to be complete! For all I know, she might gather all the table napkins and scrapbook them too (Kidding).

I hope you don't mind that I've found your weblog. If you do mind, well, just tell me and I'll practice self-restraint. (But since I'm not exactly known for that and there's little guarantee in that, feel free to block my IP. :P )

 
At Monday, April 25, 2005, Blogger Ailee Through the Looking Glass said...

No, no, by all means, stalk my blog as Maddy seems to be doing. I love it when people read my blog, it affirms the frustrated writer in me. That, and it makes me feel important. I'm such a shameless egomaniac. Haha.

I'll see you at your sister's wedding. And tell her I am very very happy she will not throw her bouquet. I will help her press the flowers as a sign of gratitude.(Maddy, you should probably stop reading this thread or you'll be sleepless for a week.)

 
At Monday, June 20, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmmm...just curious...does it mean that you're officially de...devin...dennis...???...err...sino nga yung kasama natin sa china? cousin-in-law?

 
At Monday, June 20, 2005, Blogger Ailee Through the Looking Glass said...

Dennis, the guy from Zamboanga. :) And no, we're not cousins-in-law... yet. He's marrying the cousin who got the bouquet.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home