Saturday, April 23, 2005

Chopsuey

Very glad to be back in blogging action (and very, very glad to have Star World again... missed the performance episode of American Idol, dang... more on AI later). Will spare you all the boring details of the business aspect of my trip to Shanghai, and share some random thoughts that meandered through my mind while I was there.

1. There is actually a Hooters in China. When I saw the poster (featuring Chinese waitresses who had suspiciously fair-sized boobs), I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. I don't think you could ask for a surer sign of cultural decline.

2. At the fashion show we attended, the clothes were modeled by Caucasians in a roomful of Asian executives and entrepreneurs. I couldn't decide who was being degraded by whom, so I was torn between muted outrage and amused irony while watching the spectacle... and checking out the hot male models (hey, I'm only human :p).

3. I envy ABC's (American-born Chinese) who are fluent in both English and Mandarin. My pathetic Chinese-Filipino self can only claim fluency in English and competency (if you can call it that) in Filipino, which is pretty much useless anywhere outside our dinky archipelago. The usefulness of Fookienese is pretty much limited by the same geographical boundary, plus Xiamen and Taiwan, but I've never been to either. I can get by with Mandarin to haggle with street vendors or order "safe" food at restaurants, but not well enough to actually conduct business with suppliers. I am such a pathetic Chinese person.

4. It's so much easier now to get my parents to buy me stuff, because I suspect they're so pleased that I came to work for them, they're sort of rewarding me for it. My mom got me a very nice bag that I can use for carrying documents and which will make me look more professional at meetings, haha. I feel less guilty now when I get expensive gifts like this because I figure, it's part of the fringe benefits of being the C.O.O. *evil laugh*

5. Why did McDonalds Philippines stop serving milkshakes? :(

6. If I hated GMA before for being a lousy president, now I hate her with a passion for personal reasons. It's one thing when she screws up running the nation, but an entirely different thing when she screws up my life. The day of our return to Manila, she had NAIA closed for an hour so she could fly to Jakarta, delaying our flight home by an entire three hours. We spent five hours at Pudong Airport waiting and aging, all for GMA's own frickin' convenience.

For everyone who texted and asked me how my trip was, you may now understand why my response was "tiring, extremely so" (see number 6). We arrived in Manila a bit past midnight instead of 9:00PM, and we had to wait until 2:30AM to catch the second rerun of the AI elimination episode. And as if I wasn't infuriated enough that day, Scott still didn't get kicked off!! What the hell?! I am at a complete loss to explain how such a class act like Anwar could have gotten fewer votes than that unjustifiably smug redneck (did you see how he smirked when Ryan read Simon's negative comment on his performance? augh, I hate his fat ass!). My brother may be right, all the underachievers in America must be voting for him. Perhaps Hooters is not the surest sign of cultural decline after all.




9 Comments:

At Monday, April 25, 2005, Blogger Ange said...

If the American Idol producers didn't allow Scott to remain in the contest after his arrest "for felony domestic violence after and altercation with his son's mother in 2001", then he wouldn't be in the top 6 right now. :)

 
At Monday, April 25, 2005, Blogger Ange said...

..and his fave judge is Simon, for being "bluntly real"

 
At Monday, April 25, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I HATE SCOTT. Especially after Anwar got voted off last week.

Me: Sino ba nagvovote kay Scott???
My cousin: Lahat ng mga mental hospital sa States.

 
At Monday, April 25, 2005, Blogger Ailee Through the Looking Glass said...

Haha, that's a good one! That's even better than my brother's theory that all the trailer park trash in America are voting for their own kind. :p

 
At Tuesday, April 26, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

They say that the ones voting for scott are those who rebel AI. They simply want to piss off the viewers and judges, that's why they're voting for him. Personally speaking, I think it's his time to go this episode.

 
At Tuesday, April 26, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

dear ms lim, hi! :) i just wna react saying, I SOO AGREE!!! about scott savol, i mean. yeah, i know his voice isnt that bad, but its his attitude!! hes just soooooo thick! n arrogant! n just a horrible person in general!! he thinks hes all that! but come on, buddy! look at urself!! i mean, even as far back as the second auditions, when they were split up into groups n stuff, he was being this amazingly difficult person!!! he just wudnt cooperate!!! aagh!! not to mention he looks like a pig. not to be shallow, but he rily does. i honestly have no idea why hes still in this competition!! n i was soo surprised when anwar got the least number of votes, since when i checked out asiavotes (wc is actually just a poll to see wc idol asia likes best, or in other words, a complete and total waste of money), he was the top guy! and then all of a sudden, hes gone! n scott's still here!! scott, btw, got the least number of asiavotes. so, if this was asia idol, hed so be gone. (halleluja) ges this just proves how diffrently asia thinks from america. but then again, it dosnt matter what ethnicity u r, because its so frikin plain to see that scott savol is not idol material!! hes not even close to idol material!! hes like the stuff idols wipe their feet on! no, worse! he's the stuff idols wipe off their feet!! (as u can see, i dont like scott savol) gasp! n u know what could be worse?! if anthony federov (my personal fave :)) is eliminated before scott "pigface" savol!! aaahhh!!! that wud be catastrophic!!!! if scott survives and anthony doesnt, i dont know what ill do!!! sori, anything anthony-related gets me all hyped up. it wud prbly freak u out to know i watched last week's performance show 5 times n the results show 4 times. hey! did u catch the way cute thing anthony did, when he mouthed the words "bottom three" the exact moment ryan seacrest said it, then did simon's pouty face. its was so funny! haha! sori if im boring u a bit (or a lot) w all this idol ranting :P just read ur blog (for the 1st time) n cudnt help but react. so sue me :) oya, one last thing: i think its funny when ur language borders on the foul side. :) heehee. sori, another last thing, jst wna say congratulations on ur new job, hope its funner than ur old 1! (wc is undoubtedly harder wo all us angels here :P) also, im sori if this comment is waay too long. im sori, i couldnt stop!

 
At Wednesday, April 27, 2005, Blogger Ailee Through the Looking Glass said...

Nicole, I really enjoyed reading your long AI diatribe. It's always great to hear from people who agree with me that Scott sucks. It's also refreshing to hear from a Federov fan for a change! I'm not crazy about him but I don't dislike him either. And sheesh, Pigface definitely deserves to go before Anthony. Heck, Pigface deserved to go 4 freakin' weeks ago!!

 
At Thursday, April 28, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

whoah nicole! that is an incredibly LONG comment! but i know the feeling of not being able to stop in the middle of ranting...i can't relate though...dont have starworld in destiny cable...sad but at least i dont know what im missing:D

just wanna say that i think they stopped serving milkshakes because by the time they serve it to the customers, it wont be a milk-shake anymore. itll just be milk!:D with the heat and everything, my theory isnt illogical:) oh did i mention that the heat these days is just totally unbearable...in a few years time WE'RE gonna be the ones melting!

 
At Thursday, April 28, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

forgot to say that by saying scott is a pigface...youre insulting pigs you know! theyre probably thinking ill of u right now:D and cursing u right now...if they could talk:D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home