Saturday, March 25, 2006

All good things...

Today, the Fyrinx graduated from ICA. It was a very emotional event for me, for several reasons. The Fyrinx is the only batch I've taught twice (thrice, if you count a certain morning last January ;p). I am admittedly more attached to them as a batch, simply because I've known them since they were sophomores, and I know more of them (and if you believe my dad, because they were born in the year of the Dragon and Dragons get along with Monkeys like me). Also, majority of the officers and members of Culture Shack (the club I was moderator of) were Fyrinx.

Above all, the Fyrinx are-- were my last link to ICA. Sure, AP-Annex will still be there, though their numbers will soon be reduced by one (I know Margaux's zany presence will be missed in the faculty room as well as the classrooms). But though I adore my AP-Annex peeps, the students have always been what I loved most about teaching, and what I have missed most about it. Now that my last set of students are leaving ICA, I no longer feel any obligation or desire to visit the campus "where God reigns" (*snicker*) or keep myself updated on ICA news/gossip. No more writing Palancas for Days, no more preparing goodies for special occasions, no more crashing of school events. In a way, today was also my graduation from ICA, because today, I said goodbye to the remaining reason I couldn't fully let go a year ago.

The Fyrinx's graduation was the crowning event of my short but sweet teaching career. Overwhelming pride, sheer happiness, and surging affection all welled up in me as one by one, my final batch of students received their high school diplomas, their tickets to bigger and brighter destinations. I tried to hold back my tears more than once during the ceremonies (and I thank Elyse for not saying a word as I sniffled beside her), and at one point, I had to bring out Kleenex (Kata actually saw me from the stage!! man, that girl has sharp eyesight! :p). It was a wonderful, wonderful end to the best chapter of my life, and as sorry as I am that it has come to a close, I know that just as it is the Fyrinx's time to cast off from ICA's harbor and set sail for wider seas, it's time for me to raise anchor and move on as well. I am sure our paths will cross again, and I will even drop by ICA from time to time, but I also know that some ties will be broken, and lost forever. This saddens me, but there is comfort in the memories, and the certainty that some bonds will survive the tests of time and distance. Parting is always difficult, but what I take away from my ICA experience will sustain me for a lifetime. And I could not ask for more.

To ICA: thank you for having given me the opportunity to live out my life's dream. To AP-Annex: thank you for your friendship and unwavering support through all my teaching highs and lows. To my Cyrenz, Zephyrz and Fyrinx: thank you for letting me teach you, and for letting me learn from you.
You have made my life richer and fuller, and I am a better person for having been your teacher.

Click for pix.

12 Comments:

At Sunday, March 26, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your blog entry sounded like a valedictory address...and heyyy, you even used "where God reigns"!

 
At Sunday, March 26, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey...ang drama naman ng blog mo... :( pero come to think of it...that is true...it would have been really great if you stayed to teach the xygenz...they are a great batch too...but anyhoo...do hope AP-Annex still stays strong even if Margaux will be leaving...see ya round biatch! ;-)

 
At Sunday, March 26, 2006, Blogger Ailee Through the Looking Glass said...

Jen: It was my FAVORITE line from your valedictory address. ;p

Kat: Long live AP-Annex! Woohoo! And your Xygenz will be fine as long as Maddy's still around. :)

 
At Sunday, March 26, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ms. Lim...oww....Ms. Cua won't be teaching in ICA na rin?? Whaat?? Oww... :( Congrats to the Fyrinx batch..shux...so sad :(

"Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end." -Semisonic's Closing time... New beginning for the Fyrinx batch! Kudos to em all! :D

 
At Sunday, March 26, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

zephryz, that's us! haha yay.
-mae

 
At Sunday, March 26, 2006, Blogger Crayzta said...

Ms Lim, you're making me cry again. That's such an emotional entry. Haha. It's okay, even if I was never your student...haha, I will truly miss you. The 'short' meetings we had when I saw you in the halls and such.

You'll see the FYRINX do great things in college. I hope you won't forget me... :)

-christa

 
At Monday, March 27, 2006, Blogger Ailee Through the Looking Glass said...

I won't forget you Christa. For someone who was never my student, you're one of my blog's most faithful followers! Haha.

Heya Mae. ;p

Yeah, Jac, Ms. Cua's leaving (to get her MA in Economics), along with a bunch of other teachers, so ICA will have another crop of new faculty members next year. Here's to endings and beginnings. :)

 
At Monday, March 27, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow theyve graduated, it just hit me today that IM O-L-D!!!! its been a year since ive been to ica. oh im oh so so so olddddd. hahahaha but ull always be older grandma! ;p

 
At Monday, March 27, 2006, Blogger Ailee Through the Looking Glass said...

Yes. Older, wiser, prettier, and generally better than you. Always. xp

Love 'ya Heidz! ;p

 
At Wednesday, March 29, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey i just thought of something, you know who else reminds me of you? the girl from narnia! the 2nd eldest one. she looks like you! hehehe ;p wala lang

 
At Wednesday, March 29, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

YES HEIDZ!!
we've talked about this!! Susan reminds me remarkably of you too, Ms Lim!! hahaha!!

 
At Wednesday, March 29, 2006, Blogger Ailee Through the Looking Glass said...

Good grief. You know you guys aren't the first ones to tell me that Susan reminds you of me. Is that your way of telling me I'm a prissy, know-it-all killjoy? ;p

 

Post a Comment

<< Home