Thursday, May 12, 2005

Happy Chinese Birthday to my dad and sis!

In our family, we get to celebrate two birthdays a year. One is our regular birthday, and another is our "Chinese" birthday, or our birthday according to the lunar calendar. Since it follows the lunar calendar, the second kind of birthday can fall on any day around (either before or after) the regular one, and you won't know which exact date unless you consult a lunar calendar. My mom keeps one hanging inside her closet so she always knows when our Chinese birthdays are, and sometimes for kicks she doesn't tell us so we can be surprised when the day arrives and we wake up to gifts waiting outside our bedroom door. It's nice getting two sets of birthday presents, but it's also challenging thinking of two sets to give... especially in the case of my dad and my sister, because they share the same Chinese birthday (so we have to shop for 4 sets of gifts all in all in May). This year their Chinese birthday fell on today's date, a day right before my dad's regular birthday, so he's having two consecutive birthday dinners, tonight with his golf buddies and tomorrow night with us.

It's an expensive family tradition, but we like observing it nonetheless. After all, a birthday only comes once (or twice) a year.

Speaking of expensive (Kat will hate me for this), my mom insisted on paying for my Palm Tungsten. When I tried to object, my mom reasoned that if she pays for it, it will be considered company property, so I can’t quit and run off with it. Since I don’t intend on absconding with the PDA, I accepted the terms (there’s no arguing with my mom anyway); thus I am getting my Tungsten T5 this weekend, absolutely free. This was one argument with my mother I didn’t mind losing at all.

5 Comments:

At Thursday, May 12, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

my mom keeps track of our chinese birthdays too =D we don't get 2 sets of presents tho. by the way, this year, for everyone born during the 1986 year of the tiger (like me), magkasabay yung normal birthday and chinese birthday =D it happens really rarely daw, like once-in-a-lifetime or even less.

guess what. term paper-writing na kame next term. ugh. i still remember how shocked you were when you found out that we had absolutely no idea how to write them.. except for sila jo, that is. haha =D

 
At Saturday, May 14, 2005, Blogger Ailee Through the Looking Glass said...

Have fun writing your term paper, haha. I feel bad about not doing much towards contributing to your term paper-writing knowledge, since I took for granted that you guys already knew how. If you run into any trouble next term, you know where to find me. I'll be more than happy to make up for my English teacher inadequacies. :)

 
At Saturday, May 14, 2005, Blogger juxtapositioned.jj said...

Cool! Lucky lucky you. My dad checks our chinese bdays but he always ends up telling us the day after or a couple of days after our chinese bday has passed. Hehehehe :D Oh well. Lucky lucky you...2 birthdays! Whoohoo! :D

Ohh. Gatgets galore! Hahahahaha :D Have fun with your Tungsten T5. Techie savvy. Whoohoo! :D I only have a very massive and ancient 3rd hand, passed down from my go-e to my see-e then to me, palm 3 that can't even sync up to the computer. Oh well.

Have fun working! Enjoy celebrating your dad and sis' chi bday! :D

 
At Saturday, May 14, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

haha. if we remember our chinese bdays on the day, we get angpaos! haha! coz dat rarely happens.. mwahaha... my achi celebrated her chi bday yesterday! la lng :D

kac! it's considered lucky daw haha :D

 
At Sunday, May 15, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ms lim, if YOU had been our 3rd year english teacher, then we would actually know how to write good term papers =D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home